cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Digital voice, vulnerable customer, ni mobile

Go to solution

We have FTTP and have been informed we are being migrated to Digital Voice, which is fine. 

The issue is that wexare on the vulnerable register; my wife is disabled abd i am her carer. She has a lift with qn emergency phone, and obviously we need to be able to contact the world if anything happens 

We live in a fairly isolated rural place with no mobile signal, and rely on the landline in power cuts. 

What if any provision could there be to maintain our phone service if the power fails (as it does from time to time here) 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Digital voice, vulnerable customer, ni mobile

Go to solution

@Phil_Wales 

BT should supply a backup unit to vulnerable customers.

This is for the smart hub 2.

https://shop.bt.com/products/cyberpower-back-up-for-bt-digital-voice-service--non-fttp--091297-FV54....

And this is for the FTTP ONT.

https://shop.bt.com/products/cyberpower-back-up-for-bt-digital-voice-service--fttp--097284-FV55.html

This would be a better option in my opinion.

Something like the Cyberpower BR700ELCD-UK (about £81) would seem more suitable, as you could also plug in any mains powered phones as well.

Keith_Beddoe_0-1635283433927.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks, that's useful. The ONT has a built-in battery backup anyway. So I just need to contact BT and ask, I suppose. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
BT have said they will supply a UPS, but are out of stock, so have deferred the switchover

They reacted well when I contacted them, though perhaps they could have proactively considered people on the vulnerable register.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Update 

Having acknowledged both that they have no battery backup available, and that even if they did it wouldn't last very long in a power cut they eventually agreed that I should buy a UPS of my choice and they would reimburse me.

It's a decent outcome, but I am surprised BT hasn't thought in advance about how to support vulnerable customers.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Glad you're sorted.

I think most of us are positive about FTTP/DV but I have a feeling there's going to be a horrible  incident which will be twisted/mis-reported and 'BT' will get the blame.

I hope BT are doing everything they can to support customers but giving them refunds for a UPS seems a strange way to run a railway and also -legally- is an acceptance of liability and possibly duty of care IMO.

Storm Arwen: Why power cuts left people unable to phone for help

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-59564480

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@Phil_Wales 

Does that imply that TalkTalk, Sky, and all the other providers that use the Openreach network, are going to give free UPS units to all their vulnerable customers? I cannot see that happening.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

I suppose it depends on how strongly one can convince them to adhere to OFCOM's service requirements.

0 Ratings