cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Digital voice

Go to solution

Bt. are changing my landline phone to digital voice. I have got fttp with a hub 2.

In the email telling me about this it says if there’s a power cut I will have to

use a mobile to make calls. My issue with this is my mobile signal is poor

I am with bt. Mobile. So can I refuse this change to digital voice.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Digital voice

Go to solution

it is openreach who are making the changes as old copper line to be phased out by 2025.. you can phone CS and see if you can opt out just now but change will happen.  if you have a mobile signal even poor will be enough for any emergency for as long as power cut lasts

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

There are a couple of backup power units available from BT.

This is for the smart hub 2.

https://shop.bt.com/products/cyberpower-back-up-for-bt-digital-voice-service--non-fttp--091297-FV54....

And this is for the FTTP ONT.

https://shop.bt.com/products/cyberpower-back-up-for-bt-digital-voice-service--fttp--097284-FV55.html

It would be cheaper to buy a mains output UPS, and plug both the ONT and smart hub 2 into it. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Thank you for both reply’s. I am in a rural area and that’s why my mobile signal 

is poor. It would help if mobile company’s improved the signal, 

I have had a look at mains output UPS I think they are a better option

Only one box compared to bt. Option.

unless bt. makes a better offer for their 2 box option for people living

in rural area’s .

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

I likewise live in a community of 9 houses now all with FTTP with Digital Voice. Power cuts occur about 10 time a year and the mobile signal is only any good if there is an R in the month with a following wind. So I think one of us is probably going to have to opt for some form of UPS as a safety measure to provide an emergency phone over power outages. But looking at the suggestions - two UPSs; one for the hub and one for the ONT! Why can't they provide one UPS with two 12v outputs which would at least halve the cost!  Even then it seems they only run for 1 hour plus the fact the FTTP advert is misleading as it claims "provides a minimum of one hour power back-up when used with your BT Digital Voice home phone" which it does not unless the hub is also powered.

My inclination is a 12v car battery and a simple float charger but I also  think there is a safety issue for communities such as ours which needs to be taken up with OFTEL or government when imposing Digital Voice services. A lot of folk are pretty concerned about being left with no emergency phone or one that is dependent on a mobile signal.

Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

I bought one of these for battery backup 

Cyberpower UT650EIG Ut Series, 650Va/360w, 4 IEC Outlets, AVR, Mini-Tower, GENERATOR Compatible

Seems to work perfectly very happy at £41.00. I had a couple of these sitting about

IEC C14 Plug to 13A UK Socket Power Lead, 1m - 

PEL01254

so if you don't have those cables better look at the Amazon Basics options which have 13A sockets

Amazon Basics Line-Interactive UPS-550VA with Shutdown Software and Surge Protection

(they have an even smaller version but it's been out of stock for months).

I've resolved myself that there's no going back to copper but only as I have the battery backup.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

That's really useful information thanks. How long do you think you can run a HH and ONT in the event of an outage?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

I'd say maybe 50mins or so.  I beleive the Hub 2 and ONT are approximately 22W. Maybe someone in the know could do the exact figures (on paper).

I have my hub and ONT plugged in nothing else -a kettle for emergency tea is too much 🙂

I suppose the more you spend the more backup time you'll get. I'm happy knowing there's a problem and then maybe move any important calls to the mobile phone.

I have a UPS also for my PC/monitor which maybe gives 6mins of battery runtime which is enough to avoid the problem of it going off all of a sudden.

Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Sounds good - on average we are 30 min down and could conserve for an emergency if we have to go longer. I just have a feeling that as more coal and gas shut down and electric car demand increases there may be a few supply problems in the future.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution
We are in the same position. Forced to switch. No mobile reception in house/ poor and patchy in surrounding area. Back up battery only last 1 hour. Useless as in rural area we often have 3 to 4 hour plus power failure. Complete lack of understanding by BT.
0 Ratings