cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 18

Re: Digital voice

Go to solution

@tmarsh12345 wrote:

Yes, fair point.  She does have a mobile but prefers the landline.  My thinking was if she has to change eventually she might as well get a free phone but as you say, they are cheap enough.

Interesting that phones will no longer work in a power cut.

Digital Voice is delivered to the BT Smart Hub 2 over the Internet. If power is lost to the hub, then none of the phones will work. Any other equipment like alarms that rely on the phone connection, will also stop working.

Also, the free DV phones still need power to charge up the battery, so if they go flat, then they do not work.

BT do sell a suitable backup power supply for the home hub, but its not cheap, and other alternatives are available.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 18

Go to solution

Do you mean a UPS?

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 18

Go to solution

@tmarsh12345 if your Mum is vulnerable and moves to digital voice she would be entitled to a free battery backup unit to call the emergency services if needed. However, as you mentioned she has a Mobile so that could be used in the event of a power cut.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 18

Go to solution

@tmarsh12345 wrote:

Do you mean a UPS?

Yes, the BT one just provides 12V, but a mains output UPS would power the home hub and phones and keep the broadband working of course.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 18

Go to solution

You need to be realistic as to how long a mains UPS will last in a power outage, smaller ones are lucky to get 30 mins.

OFCOM recommend an hour minimum for the hub at least……remember your handsets are battery powered and likely to last hours without power and they are connected to the hub not a DECT base that would have required power to work. So you only need to power the hub really.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 18

Go to solution

@stevepage  If you have FTTC then you only need to provide a UPS for the HomeHub, but if it's FTTP then you need to provide a UPS for the HomeHub and the ONT.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 18

Go to solution
This really interests me.

Without going into the long (and complicated back story), when ibre-upgraded/ordered an FTTC connection, back in February, I was also upgraded to Digital Voice. I was surprised by this as whilst I knew "Copper phone service" was being shut down by 2025, I believed customers on FTTP were being migrated first.

I know it doesn't make a difference but is there any rationale as to why an FTTC based customer would get migrated to DV? As I say I'm just interested really...
BT Halo 3+ (FTTC) | BT Digital Voice | BT Sport (on Sky Q) | Stretham, Ely
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 18

Go to solution

As already stated, the PSTN switch off is due to be completed by the end of 2025 , so everyone on FTTC will eventually be migrated onto DV , ( some may not take a ‘BT’ telephony service at all )  if you have been migrated it’s simply a consequence of where you were on the ‘list’ , some done before you , some will be done later than you.
New FTTP customers will get DV as standard ( if they take telephony ) ,  some early adopters of FTTP who kept the telephony over the copper pair will also be migrated , but no doubt some will be already converted to DV and some others still to be done.

All BT broadband customers that want telephony from BT will have DV , FTTP and FTTC are the low hanging fruit ( easy to do ) , the ‘problem’ BT customers will be those that don’t have any sort of BT broadband , as they will ( in effect ) have to be provided with a low bandwidth broadband connection just to keep telephony 

0 Ratings