cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Direct Voice and landline

Go to solution

II have had FTTP for a little over two years with a landline, BT8500, on the copper. I have just received  an e-mail telling me that I am being switched to Direct Voice and when the time comes to remove the cable from the wall socket and plug it into the router green port. While this is simple sounding my landline socket is in a different room to the router. I have a BT8500 which I am happy with and do not want to move the base station closer to the router unless there is no other option. Ideally I would like to run a cable from the green port to the wall socket, is this possible? 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Direct Voice and landline

Go to solution

@Frankxxx 

Yes you can do that, you just need a cable like this. You would need to make sure the existing copper connection is disconnected from your master socket. Ignore the reference to the ONT.

Just link a nearby socket, to the phone port on the smart hub 2.

Lead to link ONT TEL port to phone socketLead to link ONT TEL port to phone socket

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks that is just what I need, surprisingly difficult to build a search argument to find it.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@Frankxxx wrote:

Thanks that is just what I need, surprisingly difficult to build a search argument to find it.

Farnell Telephone Modular Cable, BT631A Plug to BT631A Plug

There are other places.

Ebay call it something different

BT 4 Wire 431A Plug to Male Plug Telephone Cable Lead

Do a Google search, as there are a number of different lengths.

Not sure why the numbers are different.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

A 631 has 6 wires connected (or should have), a 431 only 4

Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

A 631 has 6 wires connected (or should have), a 431 only 4

Then the 4 wire should be fine, as only two wires are needed anyway. It was mentioned on another thread, that the the SH2 only has a REN of 1, but that would not be an issue in this case, provided the external copper line is totally disconnected.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

I used the four wire, all up and working now, thanks for the info.

0 Ratings