cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Emergency calls on line with dialling tone but no subscription

Go to solution

I've had my BT services cancelled as there is no Openreach FTTP or FTTC, instead we are now on Gigaclear FTTP.

My Openreach phone still has a dialling tone, however.

Does this mean I can make a 999 call from it?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Emergency calls on line with dialling tone but no subscription

Go to solution

@Dom4 

It will just be a "stopped" line which normally only allows you to call BT. You could always see if you can dial 111, as that will prompt you to see if you want to continue, so you can cancel the call.

If 111 works then its possible 999 will, however there would be no automatic location of the call by lookup, as your number would no longer have a linked address.

How are Gigaclear going to provide you with a phone connection?

You need to ask on their forum, as you are no longer a BT Retail customer.

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for the response Keith.

I tried the non-emergency 3-digit numbers (101, 105, 111, 119 & 123) & got the 3 ascending tones with "The number you have dialled has not been recognised" message.

That doesn't prove 999 or 112 won't work either, however.

I'm using a VOIP service on the Gigaclear infrastructure, though obvs, in a power cut it won't work & I don't fancy forking out for a UPS.

I can still use mobile to call emergency numbers on any mobile network, of course.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@Dom4 wrote:

Thanks for the response Keith.

I tried the non-emergency 3-digit numbers (101, 105, 111, 119 & 123) & got the 3 ascending tones with "The number you have dialled has not been recognised" message.

That doesn't prove 999 or 112 won't work either, however.

I'm using a VOIP service on the Gigaclear infrastructure, though obvs, in a power cut it won't work & I don't fancy forking out for a UPS.

I can still use mobile to call emergency numbers on any mobile network, of course.

Then its a "stopped" line, nothing will work. It will eventually be disconnected totally.

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Fair enough, many thanks for the info 🙂

0 Ratings