Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
varaderoxlv1000
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

FTTP Phone?

Go to solution

UltraFast FTTP is being installed to our property on 9/9. Does the landline stay on the copper or change to digital on the fibre optic?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: FTTP Phone?

Go to solution

do you currently have a working landline using existing copper connection?  when you signed up for FTTP did you also agree to digital voice and get a digital phone from BT?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

AFAIK, if you haven’t made a conscious decision to move the telephony to ‘digital voice’ then the copper pair will continue to deliver the phone service and the FTTP broadband only....it’s likely that at some point in the future ( PSTN switch off ) you would need to have your phone service ( if you wanted one ) to be over the fibre , but that could be a few years away 

0 Ratings
varaderoxlv1000
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks for that. I wasn't offered so I'm going to be with copper for the phone for the time being which is no bad thing, If the fibre goes down, then I still have contact with the outside world!
0 Ratings
varaderoxlv1000
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
Digital wasn't offered..so I'm ok with that thanks!
0 Ratings
Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Digital Voice isn’t available to all FTTP Circuits yet, for some reason BT have been dragging their heels with it much to the annoyance of Openreach.

Apparently by the end of the year all BT FTTP Circuits will be converted to Digital Voice but I’ll believe it when I see it.

0 Ratings
sjanes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

my phone is plugged into tel1 on the ONT and works fine. if the tel1 light is green, plug the phone into tel 1 then dial 142599 between 8.30am and 4pm and listen to the message

0 Ratings
Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

What you have is FVA, Fibre Voice Access. It’s different to Digital Voice.

Soon Openreach are ceasing their FVA Service and all FTTP Customers will be migrated over to Digital Voice, which is VOiP.

0 Ratings
sjanes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
thanks for this info. I hope they keep my FVA the same as it works ok. i only switch over to FVA because my phone line was crackling
0 Ratings
Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

No, Openreach are ceasing the FVA Service, it’s to expensive a system to maintain. 

Thats why all the new ONT’s don’t have FVA Ports. Sooner or later you’ll be moved over to VOiP, they’ll not let you keep the FVA Service.

0 Ratings