cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

FTTP - VOIP landline new number issued, number not working

Go to solution

Hi

I have FTTP at home, final instal completed 6 wks ago & I am happy with the broadband side of it - the problem is the "landline" side of things..........

I am now on BT mobile as being out in the sticks with negligible mobile signal I can now use Wifi calling (which didn't work for me with Vodafone despite it being an unlocked mobile phone).  So the good thing is that I can now make/receive calls on my mobile.

The problem:

- Copper landline service now cancelled with previous provider and number taken out of service (as BT told me that I couldn't port it....)

- I don't have a landline call package, quite happy with "PAYG" on the landline, now that I can use the inclusive minutes via mobile wifi calling

- BUT elderly relatives and friends with landline packages understandably don't want to call me on my mobile however the "digital" line via FTTP is just not working, no sound when newly issued number is dialled & no ringing sound from my "landline" phone though I can make calls out on this digital landline

I spoke to BT tech guy who told me to hang up on the mobile and he then rang the new landline number and the house phone rang; however since then numerous folk have tried to reach me on the house phone and are concerned as they aren't getting through/there's no dial tone etc.

My question: if I leave the mobile set up to receive/make wifi calling whilst at home does that stop the digital house/landline (although I understand that is also VOIP) ringing??  Or should both work even if I leave the mobile set up to receive/make wifi calls?

Many thanks for any help/comments..............

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: FTTP - VOIP landline new number issued, number not working

Go to solution

@Freud  I'll leave the technical problems to the forum's experts. 

I would just like to point out that the whole point of WiFi-calling is that you do not use any of your allowance!

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

If you have FTTP do you also have digital voice?  If so then your landline should be connected to the phone socket on the back of the SH2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Hi yes it is digital voice with one of the smart new (free) BT phones/Smart 2 Hub  & yes the phone has the right wires in the right place as checked by Openreach on the instal

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

if you have DV and got a Free DV phone then there are no wires apart from the charging station  the phone just pairs with the SH2 dect base station.

if you go to hub manager 192.168.1.254 into browser you should see your phone number - is it blue or greyed out?  if blue have you tried a phone reset or even the DV base reset?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Many thanks Imjolly - I've done a DV reset and all is now well with the world so a big thank you for your help.  Have a great weekend!

0 Ratings