cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

FTTP and Digital Voice

Hi

Sorry but I’m really confused. I have had Fibre to the Property since I moved in. I don’t use BT routers (I really don’t rate them - sorry) and I’m not paying extra cash for WiFi everywhere when I already have a perfectly acceptable mesh system in place 

I keep reading that Digital Voice requires me to use to use BT Routers. That’s not going to happen here (ie I’m not going to swap) so are BT saying that My Phone  service will be upgraded and become inoperable when it happens? 

Fine if so I just want to make sure I cancel my service at the right time. 

Thanks  in advance 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: FTTP and Digital Voice

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

No. BT are saying your phone service will be moved to digital voice and will be fully operable.

If you choose to not use the BT Smarthub that has been supplied then you will be choosing to make your BT digital phone service un-operable.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Digital Voice which is replacing the old PSTN when Openreach switch it off is only compatible with the Smart Hub 2, that's not to say in future it won't change but at the time of this post it's a requirement.

Message 5 of 9

@Malone001 

How do you get your phone service at the moment? If it comes from the Openreach ONT, (FVA) then that service is being discontinued.

The same applies if your phone line comes in on a copper pair.

Message 6 of 9

OK. Thanks both. That’s what I thought. I’ve been considering ditching BT and that will act as my prompt.   I recognise that the issue will exist with other providers but they’re generally a lot cheaper even with landline. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Looking at this a little further I’ve got a Huawei 4 port hub,  Tel 1 is wired in and the blurb in the website implies that it’s for  Digital voice so I guess I already have it 🤷‍♂️

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

No you don't, that is for FVA (Fibre Voice Access) which is the now deprecated Openreach system. BT's DV ONLY works with the SH2.

Message 9 of 9

If telephony is required but you don’t want to use the SH2 , use a ‘regular’ VoIP provider and regrade to the ‘no telephony’ BT FTTP option , you state this could be the impetus to move provider, it should be noted some ISP’s on OR FTTP don’t even offer a telephony option .

If you want to take the number with you ( before you are moved  to DV from FVA ) timing will be key as porting the number will cease the broadband .