cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: FTTP - move to digital voice, no mobile signal

@Adrian-C Unfortunately, I’m not sure there is much BT can actually do about it. They cannot keep you on copper forever, as it will be completely switched off in 2025. It’s not a BT thing, it’s a telecoms industry thing. You could maybe get another 3 years at best and then you’d have the same issue in 2025 anyway.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 16

Just to reiterate, its the analogue PSTN network which is closing down, not the copper network. Copper will be in the network for a long time yet, as there are some special services that need a copper connection, which do not have an alternative at the moment.

The PSTN equipment in the exchanges, consisting of System X, AXE10 etc, have been in use since 1980, and is very expensive to maintain, spares are not available, and they do not integrate well into other phone networks any more. They also take up a lot of valuable space in exchange buildings, and removing it, could enable buildings to be sold.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 16

Yes sorry, I meant the analogue PSTN is closing down in 2025.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 16

OFCOM are, indeed, insisting on this. By the end of 2025, four years away.

You'd think there were higher priorities than an exchange that's no more than a brick shed in a field, serving fewer than 500 properties, all directly connected with not a single street cab, some of which are five miles away...

Meanwhile, I've had another direct reply from BT basically telling me that I'm lying about having zero mobile signal, because the coverage maps show good 4G signal at my postcode.
<sigh>
I'll remember that next time I have to go for a walk up the lane in order to receive a text message.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 16

@Keith_Beddoe  Keith, would the power supply you have quoted maintain a working phone if used to power a BT Smart hub 2? I’m not to knowledgeable regarding telecoms stuff, could you tell me what and where an Openrerach modem would be used? I presume that i don’t have one but these days who knows 😳 thanks for your info it’s the first helpful post i have read so far.👍 BTW that power supply is on Amazon for around £77.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 16

A mains output UPS will have more than enough capacity to supply low powered equipment like the home hub, Openreach modem (FTTP only ), and mains powered phones.

Mains UPS are mainly used for fairly high power equipment like desktop PCS, to allow them to shut down gracefully. 

See feedback on this thread https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-and-power-cuts-mitigation/m-p...

0 Ratings