cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Failed number port while leaving BT - help needed.

I'm not sure how applicable this is to this forum but here goes:

Today I moved from BT broadband (FTTC) and landline to Sky (FTTP). My LL number wasn't transferred to Sky for some unknown reason and they issued me with a new FTTP number. My BT service was cancelled just after the Sky installation finished.

I was shocked to find this out as I've had this same number for over 20 years. It's used by schools, Dr's etc (you know the story). I contacted BT via web chat and was told that a renumber request is all that was needed from Sky. I went back to Sky and explained to them what BT had said but after almost an hour on the phone they were adamant that only an active number could be ported to them. They said that because my services were cancelled, the phone number would be recycled. This is contrary to what BT web chat told me.

I'm totally confused and frustrated now. Is there anything that can be done in this case? I don't want to lose the number I've had for over 20 years. I know it's probably not as straightforward as if I was joining BT from another provider.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Failed number port while leaving BT - help needed.

@Kojak 

As you are a Sky customer, this forum cannot help, as its a BT Retail Customer Forum.

Try the Sky forum.

https://helpforum.sky.com/

I doubt very much you are going to get your number back, as it belongs to BT Retail.

If you had moved to BT FTTP, then the situation would have been different.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

The only real way BT could assist is if you became a BT customer again , and they were able to allocate the number again ( you would be assigned a temporary number while this was looked at , but no guarantee could be given that it would be successful ) , otherwise you are completely in the hands of Sky , and if they say there is nothing to be done , that’s between you and them

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

I read other posts here before posting, where people moving TO BT have been able to retrieve numbers (with help from moderators) that their previous provider had cancelled. Is it a case that joining BT customers can retrieve numbers that are owned by BT Retail but leaving customers cannot?

Is there a mechanism between BT Retail and other providers that would allow for some human interaction in order to fix an issue like this?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

No, as you are not a BT customer, no manual intervention by BT would not be possible.

You will have to take up the issue with Sky, especially if they promised you could keep your number.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

BT were quite happy to help me via web chat earlier today even when I explained that I was no longer a customer. They were very helpful actually.
You're probably offering advice on what you _think_ should happen rather than what actually happens.

I'll take the case up with Sky again. Thanks for taking time to reply.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

I am basing my response, on what has happened to other customers posting on this forum.  I wish you luck sorting it out with Sky.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

They posts here are not being unhelpful in particular, it's a matter of fact it's a Sky issue, they should have requested the number but if they haven't that's their issue. The number will be recycled eventually but not straightaway so I'd try contacting them again. Worst case scenario though is they can't & the numbers been returned to the provider that originally allocated the number & can only be got with service from them again (This whole thing may be a warning to other people looking to switch providers too as well)

0 Ratings