cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 28

Failure of service after change-over from copper

Go to solution

I told BT I did not want the digital line as I live in an aread with poor signals.

They told me I had to have them. I had an argument with the fitter who told me all telephone lines have always gone off during power cuts. Obviously ignorant of the situation.

Not only does it go off in high winds and rain it is impossible to use when electricity fail.

My telephones cut out after 10 minutes and I have to keep calling back my bill therefore has increased to £50 a month and I have to rely on mobile more which does not operate when mist overs the tower.

If anyone has the same problem please contact Ofcom and explain. I have contacted the Ombudsman and BT have simply said I can change. You cannot change to a service that works because they use BT and Openreach devices.

I have had 3 hubs, two sets of phones and have had to buy Panasonic phones to no avail. If you or anyone is in this position please get onto Ofcom. They will tell  you they can't deal with individual complaints, but these are not individual complaints. When I asked BT about a feasibility study they confessed they got only a 60% suitability rating. This is unacceptable. I am 81 this month, my friends ring but can't hear. I ring them and get 'out of range'. I get no Wifi and intermittent Broadband.  Please contact your MP, Ofcom and Ombudsman. BT are no longer British and they now have a monopoly in rural areas which means to can't change to anyone else.

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28

Re: Failure of service after change-over from copper

Go to solution

BT do not have a monopoly anywhere. Changing provider will make no difference in any case as all providers will be moving to a VoIP based telephony service by 2025.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 28

Go to solution

@Gaelredwrote:

Please contact your MP, Ofcom and Ombudsman. BT are no longer British and they now have a monopoly in rural areas which means to can't change to anyone else.

Are you also contacting your electric company who are responsible for the power as it's them causing the most issues?

Message 4 of 28

Go to solution

I told BT I did not want the digital line as I live in an aread with poor signals.

Poor signals  ? What does this mean , mobile phone signal , unless this is a BT mobile phone , then it’s nothing to do with BT 

They told me I had to have them. I had an argument with the fitter who told me all telephone lines have always gone off during power cuts. Obviously ignorant of the situation.

Why was a fitter visiting ? , converting to Digital Voice doesn’t need a visit .

Not only does it go off in high winds and rain it is impossible to use when electricity fail.

DV doesn’t go off more often than the old system in high winds and rain , 

My telephones cut out after 10 minutes and I have to keep calling back my bill therefore has increased to £50 a month and I have to rely on mobile more which does not operate when mist overs the tower.

Doesn’t  this contradict your first point about poor signals 

If anyone has the same problem please contact Ofcom and explain. I have contacted the Ombudsman and BT have simply said I can change. You cannot change to a service that works because they use BT and Openreach devices.

OFCOM sanctioned the changeover to DV

I have had 3 hubs, two sets of phones and have had to buy Panasonic phones to no avail. If you or anyone is in this position please get onto Ofcom. They will tell  you they can't deal with individual complaints, but these are not individual complaints. When I asked BT about a feasibility study they confessed they got only a 60% suitability rating. This is unacceptable. I am 81 this month, my friends ring but can't hear. I ring them and get 'out of range'. I get no Wifi and intermittent Broadband.  Please contact your MP, Ofcom and Ombudsman. BT are no longer British and they now have a monopoly in rural areas which means to can't change to anyone else.

BT Group is a listed company with a wide range of shareholders , BT don’t have a monopoly in any part of the country , there will be many other providers , some will expect you to use their own telephony service , which may be similar to Digital Voice  some will still use older technologies.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 28

Re: BT forcing people from copper broadband onto fiber?

Go to solution

Resist their bullying. I was forced to do this 15 months ago, even though I explained that I needed a landline that operated durijg power cuts. I was told by their dopey engineer that Landlines never worked when the power was off.

I lived in an area where signals are intermittent. I don't even get reliable mobile coverage. For the last 15 months I have  had no WiFi, slow Broadband and practically not telephone connection. After 10 minutes the phones cut out so I am having to phone 3 or 4 times to get through a conversation with the result t hat I am now being charged £53 a month instead of the 28 I previously paid.

Once it is done, if it does not work you will be able to go nowhere else if you have these problems because you will take your connection problem with you. All BT does to customer is say "they will let us move without penalty" Good of them because the other suppliers ask you if you need a landline, if you can get by with a mobile and if you need fast Broadband. Something BT should have listened to in my case but did not.

There has been a group of people complaining about this in Scotland and I believe BT now say that they got it wrong and it should not have been done. When I asked had they done a feasibility survey they said it worked for 60% of people. Not good enough in this day and age. They need to be closed down as they have a monopoly with Openreach on lines and services.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 28

Go to solution

I have had 3 hubs, 3 boosters and have spent 21 months trying to get through to them that this was not a suitably place for the change from Copper.

They are quite cynical and my enormous telephone bill is because I have to phone people 3 times because I get cut off after 10 minutes. The Government should look into the fact that BT are no longer British and have a monopoly of lines and line engineers.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 28

Go to solution
You are replying to post that’s over 2 years old
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 28

Go to solution

You will find as BT told me "you will take the problem with you". Quite true I have tried different providers and they ask you questions about connections etc. I have just been turned down by Shell and Virgin Media. The truth is once BT have stuffed up your connection there is nowhere to go.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 28

Go to solution

Please stop peddling your nonsense. If other providers decline to offer you service, that has nothing to do with BT.

Message 10 of 28

Go to solution

I think @Gaelred is ranting about a different situation. This thread was about going from copper to FTTC but from what I can gather from their rants they must be in a FTTP area as that would be the only reason for being forced to take digital voice & Shell turning them down as FTTP is prioritised if available

0 Ratings