cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 34

Full Fibre 900 package and my existing phone line

Go to solution

I've signed up to the Full Fibre 900 package which is being installed on Monday. Rather than use the supplied Smart Hub 2 I would prefer to keep my existing TP-Link VR2800 router which is compatible with this fibre service. The main reason is I can have split SSIDs so can control what kit is assigned to each frequency. This isn't easily possible with the SH2. Also, it's placed upstairs in a small 3 bed semi so signal strength to all the house is fine.

My question relates to the supplied Digital Phone that is part of the package. I've seen a post saying it can only be used if connected to the SH2 and not 3rd party routers such as mine.

That being the case what's the position if I prefer not to use it? I have 2-3 phones around the house that connect via the existing copper connections. I would be happy to carry on using those since calls to and from my landline are minimal anyway. I know a new box for fibre is being installed. Does the copper phone line remain or get removed?

0 Ratings
33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34

Re: Full Fibre 900 package and my existing phone line

Go to solution

@RayP 

You can only use the SH2 for digital voice, and if you have been supplied with digital voice phones, then that means your copper landline will be disconnected, and your phone service moved over to digital voice.

You have no other option, as the analogue phone network is being closed down.

You could use your existing router as a wireless access point, and turn off the wireless on the SH2.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 34

Go to solution

Since posting that question I have found this which appears to contradict your suggestion...

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Full-Fibre-from-BT-Your-questions-answered/td-p/20025...

No change to the copper line or how your current phone operates. I appreciate in time copper may be removed but not just yet perhaps.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 34

Go to solution

@RayP wrote:

Since posting that question I have found this which appears to contradict your suggestion...

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Full-Fibre-from-BT-Your-questions-answered/td-p/20025...

No change to the copper line or how your current phone operates. I appreciate in time copper may be removed but not just yet perhaps.

That information was posted over a year ago, things have moved on since then. The closure of the PSTN network has been accelerated to ensure the full offload by 2025 at the latest.

If you have been told you are moving to digital voice, or have selected that as an option, then your copper connection will be ceased, however you can connect your existing internal phone wiring into the phone socket on the SH2.

The fact that digital voice phones are being supplied, means that you are going to be migrated over.

Message 5 of 34

Go to solution

But all I wanted was a faster broadband service. I never showed any interest in a digital phone.

If that FAQ is no longer valid it shouldn't show incorrect information. I'm going to screenshot it so I have a record of what BT stated prior to my upgrade.  I'm going to ring BT and find out what's going on.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 34

Go to solution

See https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/BT-Full-Fibre-900-Digital-Voice/td-p/208426...

Quote "(BT don't provide copper telephone lines for new Full Fibre customers) "

Message 7 of 34

Go to solution
Message 8 of 34

Go to solution

@RayP  If you do not use your phoneline just get FTTP without digital voice. If you do and don't wish to be tied to using the BT Hub then get your own VoIP provider and port your number to them.

Message 9 of 34

Go to solution

The copper line will be discontinued by OpenReach. That's been confirmed by BT. The information on this page is no longer correct and needs updating.

Also, this Alexa digital phone will only work with the BT hub so my existing TP-Link becomes useless.

I accept that technology moves on but losing my copper line has come as a shock especially when the above link suggests it won't.

Can someone from BT please notify the author of that page that it contains erroneous information that needs correcting asap.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 34

Go to solution

@pippincp, too late to change the order now I'm afraid. And VOIP is not something I'm familiar with.

I'll go with the SH2 and digital phone. BT are sending me an adapter so my existing phones will still work with it.

In all honesty I don't make many calls from the landline number preferring my mobile. It's more of a nuisance having to integrate this stuff when all I wanted was faster broadband.

0 Ratings