cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 61 of 77

Re: Full Fibre To The Property with Digital Voice and Third Party Router

I wonder how much of a problem. Both my grandsons are online gamers and have had no problems when playing on line at our house. I am sure some of our holiday cottage guests have played games and we have had no complaints in years.
0 Ratings
Message 62 of 77

@Johnbrid wrote:
I wonder how much of a problem.

Very little in reality

0 Ratings
Message 63 of 77

I am wondering if the asus routers automatically go into bridge mode if you let them automtically configure and so avoid any double NAT issues.
0 Ratings
Message 64 of 77

If you have connected the hub and Asus together LAN port to LAN port rather than LAN port to WAN port, you won't be double natting in any case.

0 Ratings
Message 65 of 77

In which case I presume the BT Hub is handling LAN device connections and allocation of IP addresses? So what has been achieved by adding ones own router other than possibly better WiFi coverage? I have a lot of port forwarding rules in my router and utilise some child monitoring features. And of great importance is the blocking of new devices before I approve them. As well as an isolated guest network.
0 Ratings
Message 66 of 77

Alleged better wifi coverage, you are just using the second router as a WAP (wireless access point) unless you connect LAN to WAN.

If you connect LAN to WAN you create 2 subnets that operate independently. You can either continue to connect devices to the 2 subnets, or you can effectively make the second router's WAN port the only device in the first subnet and connect everything to the second, creating all the rules and port forwarding in the second router. You just forward all ports in the first router to the IP address of the WAN of the second (or put the second in the DMZ of the first, which is effectively the same thing).

0 Ratings
Message 67 of 77

I started this thread a year ago, and have been using my Asus RT-AX88U ever since with download speeds of 930mb and no issues. I haven't used the BT hub in a year.

I still have the copper line in place for my landline, but have been advised that the switch to digital voice is coming 'at some point'.

My phone contract with vodaphone ended, so I have switched to a BT Sim and when Digital Voice is implemented, I intend to have all landline calls on permanent forward to my mobile phone, which I have been told will be no cost. I use wifi calling when home.

0 Ratings
Message 68 of 77

0 Ratings
Message 69 of 77

Hello. I read that and the rest of the thread. There seems to be some confusion. Will call divert work with Digital Voice if the BT Hub is disconnected?

0 Ratings
Message 70 of 77

Will call divert work with Digital Voice if the BT Hub is disconnected?

@rambles Well if its not available from the app or MyBT, then you would have to do it via the Smart Hub 2, using a phone. This has always been the case with the existing analogue PSTN network, only BT could apply a divert if your phone line was faulty, so Digital Voice may be the same. BT would need to have some means of checking that you are still using their broadband connection, to prevent fraud. The other issue would be if someone got hold of your account details, they could alter your diverted phone number, and you would be unaware.

In most cases people would only be diverting for a short period while they were out.

Perhaps a third party VOIP solution may be better for you?

0 Ratings