cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 15

Re: Gigaset N300 & Smarthub 2 Digital Voice compatible ?

Go to solution

Fibre to cabinet, I thought Digital voice only works with BT phones ?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 15

Go to solution

just connect your phone to the phone socket on the back of the SH2 - you may need to remove the sticker.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 13 of 15

Go to solution

BT supplies its own DV handsets as they are specifically designed to work with the BT Smart Hub. Any relatively modern telephone should work if plugged directly into the phone socket at the back of the Hub. My Gigaset system works fine in tandem with the Digital Voice service i.e. the Gigaset slave handsets ring when a call comes through on my BT line but I cannot transfer a call taken on a Gigaset slave handset to a BT DV handset nor make internal calls between the two systems. I never imagined that I could. Some of the enhanced services that can be accessed via the BT DV handsets are obviously not available via the Gigaset handsets. That has never really been a problem for me.   With the multi-line feature enabled, if I'm on a call all the other handsets ring I can decide whether to take the second call or not.  Easier than Call Waiting and very often a boon when a talkative friend or relative won't shut up! I just say something like "it's my elderly mum calling so I have to go" even though it might be a cold call coming in!

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 15

Go to solution

> I am pleased to report that the N300 can be connected to the pstn  port on the SH2 and it functions as expected...

> Digital Voice presented as fixed line on the Gigaset handset

> VOIP lines presented on the Gigaset handset as expected 

> Even a BT digital phone works without conflict albeit and as expected for the BT Digital Voice line only.

If it does what you need then great. BUT - I suspect you now have 2x DECT networks with no handoff or contact sharing (albeit on the same number) and one of them has an analog part and may therefore be less clear.

You do though have an alternate VOIP provider. I assume BT DV is VOIP, (rather than proprietary), but they just are not enabling connections other than via the SH2.

The 'classier' way - which may not be what you want, so not necessarily better for you, would be to connect the Gigaset handsets direct to the SH2 with DECT pairing. Fully digital with possibly handoff and contact sharing (maybe), but I don't know if it works (I'm hanging out here to find out reports of success) - I binned my gigasets and an N300 when I ditched my landline. Sadly I'm trying to help out my mother on DV and working out how it all fits together.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 15

Go to solution

"The 'classier' way - which may not be what you want, so not necessarily better for you, would be to connect the Gigaset handsets direct to the SH2 with DECT pairing."

That is not going to work for my situation as I'd lose my non-BT VOIP connection.

I did try to pair the BT DV phone to the N300 base station as it was supposed to be DECT compatible but it did not want to connect so I gave up. 

The Gagaset handsets work fine (basestation landline connection goes to SH2) and I can receive calls on my non-BT VOIP provider and the BT DV line. As before I select which line I want to use when making outgoing calls.

The only reason I keep the BT DV line is because outgoing calls are cheaper than my VOIP provider.

It's probably not ideal to have two DECT systems but I hung onto the BT DV phone for voicemail. Voicemail from NY non-BT VOIP comes as a WAV file email attachment.  

0 Ratings