cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Gobbledegook .

Go to solution

I seem to be missing something.

You see, I pay BT every month for certain services. If these don't work it's not my job to fix them.

Yet I'm reading posts where technically skilled posters are doing stuff with wires, faceplates, other things I truly don't understand....

Eg: " I have FTTC on a 5C master socket with a MK4 faceplate plus UPS protected SH2 and am now on digital voice. I want to re-activate my old home extensions (have old phones that need a ringer and I want power 24/7). ......I cannot find one of the SOGEA faceplates ...If I remove the three wires ...........REN's may be a problem though."

Seriously.....if my car manufacturer tells me it needs an update...guess what! They fix it. Yes, experts fix it. And make sure I'm not without an alternative.

Imagine my granny reading these posts, screwdriver in hand, walking frame discarded, crawling into the understairs cupboard......new hip creaking, 

BT Trials should have explored every conceivable difficulty and planned accordingly.

Please don't reply as I am under the stairs with granny.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Gobbledegook .

Go to solution

@Kilgeever53wrote:

Yet I'm reading posts where technically skilled posters are doing stuff with wires, faceplates, other things I truly don't understand....

If you have a problem, explain it the best you can, sometimes more info will be needed but the forum experts will guide you, never let ability stop you getting answers, complex situations can always be explained clearer if needed, some posters are experts and know the terminology, others don't but that's okay 🙂

Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Continuing your car analogy , someone buys a brand new car ,it stops working , they are indignant and call the supplier and expect it to be fixed ( that’s not unreasonable you say ) , dealership wants to ask a few pertinent questions , but the customer says ‘No’ they shouldn’t have to explain or troubleshoot thats not their job, it’s a new car , so fix it ..the dealer picks the car up and investigates, and discovers the car has no fuel in it ….that could have been addressed at the time with a few questions/answers , but now the car owner has the expense of the recovery to the garage and the diagnostic time the garage spent discovering this simple oversight on the car owners part……
Most advice given here , along the lines of test ports , 17070 quiet line test , etc, isn’t absolutely necessary, anyone can insist that any and every issue should be looked at by the supplier, it’s just that not every issue is the suppliers responsibility, and a few simple checks may save the cost of an unnecessary call out.

Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
Your analogy almost works. It might have worked if you hadn't approached the subject with a predetermined response.
The technical aspects of telecoms discussed on this board can never be analogous to running out of petrol.
A new car requiring expert intervention goes to the dealer in the first instance. The manufacturer next.
Good afternoon and best wishes.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Ok, here's a better analogy. You buy a new car and you have a problem with it, you ring the dealer and he says 'what's the problem' and you reply 'I'm not going to tell you', its your job to tell me what's wrong with it.

Technical problems require technical discussion.

Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Analogy rarely bare close scrutiny but because you introduced it, I just made use of it, but I’m sure some will have ran out of fuel and called the dealer and been surprised when a bill is presented, or more commonly  mis fuelled ( petrol instead of diesel etc ) , and been unaware that this isn’t covered by the warranty, it does though illustrate that just because you have something with an expectation that it will work, there are circumstances when the object or service doesn’t  perform as expected but it’s not the supplier that is responsible…and as already stated, you can always insist on a visit regardless of doing any checks yourself, tacitly accepting the ‘ customer aware of potential charges’ declaration , and take your chances.

If ( for example ) someone reports no dialtone , and insists on a visit, Openreach duly turn up , and using a different phone demonstrates the line working, and restoring the customers own equipment, it’s back to no dialtone , do you think that’s chargeable , after all Openreach didn’t provide the phone , and when the consumer reported the ‘fault’ the provider asked if they had checked the phone was OK , if they simply said they were not prepared to do any checking , then surely they are the architect of their own misfortune