cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 40

Has BT surrendered the landlines to the fraudsters and scammers ?

We have the facility to block scammer calls, which we do on average 2 x times daily. Now the majority of our incoming calls are either digital, fraud on your visa card, or amazon account or some middle eastern accented scammer. In other words scammers or fraudsters. We decided to use a new tactic, and use the BT portal to report the numbers. However, this is impossible as the portal will not accept the callers number. Has BT totally given up on landlines altogether and lost the fight on scammers and fraudsters ? Sadly, it has reached a point where, if the incoming caller has a middle east accent we hang up the call, legit or not.

0 Ratings
39 REPLIES 39
Message 2 of 40

Re: Has BT surrendered the landlines to the fraudsters and scammers ?

In many cases the number you are seeing doesn't actually exist or is even in an invalid format. This is because it's being spoofed by the caller. The only option to solve this is to invest in a phone with call blocking that will only allow whitelisted callers straight through.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 40

Why should I ?

Surely technology exists within BT to filter these calls ?

My option is to end my landline contract with BT after 43 years.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 40

@silentone 

You will never block calls by simply blocking a number, as scammers do not use the same number again.

You need to use a call blocking phone like the BT4600. This only allows selected number to get straight through, all others have to announce themselves first, scammers never do that as they use automatic call software.

https://www.bt.com/help/user-guides/phones/landline-phones/cordless-phones-with-answer-machine/bt460...

No phone provider can block spoofed calls.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 40

Do you seriously think that if BT, or any provider for that matter, could block scammers they wouldn't do so?

It is a worldwide problem. There is an infinite amount of phone numbers, you can't block them all. The only way to defeat scammers is by a system of whitelisting allowed numbers. Blacklisting is a futile waste of time.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 40

I don't believe for one second that BT does not have the resources or wherewithal to recognise and block scammer numbers. What it lacks is the will to do so.

It grieves me that after 43 years I will have to end my landline service with BT.

So, I suppose the answer to my question is: Yes, BT has surrendered the landlines to scammers.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 40

Total nonsense

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 40

What is nonsense ?

I am not one the vulnerable one's.

People are scammed daily in the UK via a public service landline, and your answer in nonsense ?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 40

The same happens on mobiles, so re you giving up on using telephones completely?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 40

Nope, because it doesn't happen on mobiles. I don't give anyone my mobile number, other than the circle of contacts I want to have it.

There is no mobile directory, thank heavens.

0 Ratings