cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 17

Re: Have I Wired My Extensions Incorrectly - Or Do I Have 2 Faulty Faceplates?

Go to solution

@Paul608085 wrote:

@Starwire 

Thanks for clarifying.

@imjolly 

No, I'm not trying to use a master socket as an extension - I have a completely separate secondary socket for that. I think that this confusion is because I have been referring to the master socket that I bought on eBay last week? That socket was purchased as a spare faceplate, (but came as a complete unit), due to regular noise problems I have been experiencing with the original faceplate, (see my original post). The new socket looks exactly the same as the existing, so it is easier to use that to describe the connections I used each time and their labels on the socket. Since buying it, I have decided to try hard wiring the extension.

A couple more questions please before I have another go at wiring this up again:

1.) If I wire the extension cable to the terminals on the 5C socket, does that still go via the filter in the master socket? In other words, will the telephone on the extension socket need a separate broadband filter?

2.) I have been breaking my broadband connection quite a few times today trying to resolve this issue. I have seen from other threads on these forums that this can be interpreted by equipment in the FTTC cabinet as a fault and the line speed gets lowered? Should I wait a while before disconnecting the broadband to avoid this? If so, how many days is recommended to allow the cabinet to see a stable line?

From you previous descriptions of your extension socket it certainly sounds like another master being used as extension socket

If you connect to terminals 2&5 in master and to terminals 2&5 in extension then no filter required

I would wait 24hrs before trying your rewiring again.  If DLM thinks there is a problem  with connection dropping you may end up in banded profile which could take weeks to recover from

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 17

Go to solution

@imjolly 

Thanks - I'm going to give it a couple of days just to be sure!

One other thing:

I'm considering adding a second extension socket in another room, (there would only be a maximum of 2 telephones connected, so I don't think REN would be a problem). Is it OK to cable this extension from the first extension socket, or should each socket have its own cable directly back to the master socket?

ie, what I am proposing to do:

Master Socket >>>>> 1st Extension >>>>> 2nd Extension

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 17

Go to solution

@Paul608085 

that's ok just same again terminal 2&5 in first extension just has 2 wires in each and then connect to Terminals 2&5 in 2nd extension and should be ok

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 14 of 17

Go to solution

@imjolly 

Thanks - I'll report back in a few days when I have had another go!

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 17

Go to solution

Hi Paul608085

Just a quick thought - When using 2 & 5 on the backplate IDC terminals the front filter section has be be replaced to get a connection. The incoming signal comes through the conventional contacts in the test socket into the front section filter  - the filtered signal then returns to the back plate through additional contacts (on the lower surface of the test connector I believe) to the IDC block. 

It has caught people out in the past.

Dave

Message 16 of 17

Go to solution

@DaveS1234 

Prompted by your reply I have had a closer look at my spare faceplate and socket - with a magnifying glass!

I can see now that both the engineer's test socket on the backplate and the corresponding plug on the faceplate do indeed have a separate row of contacts on the opposite side from the conventional contacts!

I can't be certain, but what has almost certainly happened is that I didn't put the faceplate back on when I tested the newly wired extension - Doh!

As someone said earlier in this thread, I probably had it right first time, (but didn't realise it!).

The hub resynced again overnight, and is currently at the best it has been for a long, long time, (I keep a daily record), so I'm going to give it at least another day before I risk breaking it down again.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 17

Go to solution

To close this thread off, I have just reconnected my extension wiring using terminals 2 and 5 on the front of the 5c's backplate. After replacing the mk4 faceplate, the extensions work!

My previous post in this thread, (the one where it became obvious that I had made a c**k-up the first time, and had it right initially was my 250th on these forums. Apparently, that now earns me the rank of "Expert" - Hmmm...

I'm sure that I'm not the only one to see the irony in that 😀

Thanks to all for your help, (as always!).

0 Ratings