cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mghsuffulk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Helmingham Exchange Digital/Analogue converter issue?

This fault is widespread across Helmingham Exchange, many people have reported it and because it is intermittent, line tests, engineer visits etc do not find it. I believe the fault is in the exchange but getting Openreach to go there is not happening.

Occasionally, for everyone, calls have a digital type distortion/crackle on the incoming voice, the person the other end hears the call loud and clear.

If a call has this noise, it lasts for the entirety of that call, conversely if a call is clear and correct that situation lasts for the entirety of that call.

This happens on both incoming and outgoing calls. When dialling out the dial tone and the numerical dialling sounds are crystal clear, if the noise appears it starts when the ring tone commences.

It is my belief that the fault is in a Digital to Analogue converter in the exchange if such a thing exists. I know calls are multiplexed on trunk cables so the conversion has to happen somewhere. If there are several of these in the exchange, and one is faulty, that would explain the randomness of which lines get the fault and when.

My FTC broadband speed is totally unaffected suggesting that my wiring is OK, and there is no noise from the silent line test.

Can somebody help our community please, we just need that exchange door opening.

Thank You

Martin Hunt

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Helmingham Exchange Digital/Analogue converter issue?

are you a BT broadband and phone customer?  if so report the phone fault to 151  if not then report it it your ISP

this is a customer help customer forum and there is no link from this forum to openreach

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mghsuffulk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I am a BT Customer

The point of posting here is that so many of my fellow Helmingham exchange friends have gone through the call India, take master plate off, try this, try that. have an engineer come to house and of course the fault does not show itself.

I am trying to escalate this as an area fault that is intermittent and get Openreach to go in the Exchange. For us 151 is a waste of time and does not get the job done.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 4 of 13

Openreach are not responsible for exchange problems ( assuming your diagnosis is correct ) ,the only ‘exchange’ work  OR engineers can do is request a port change to move an individual line onto a different ‘line card’ , but as you say if it’s not just yourself that is affected , then it’s not going to be solved by OR moving you between line cards.
You need to get the part of BT Group that look after the digital switches ( exchanges) to investigate that group AFAIK is  ‘BT TSO‘ but generally exchanges self report issues, if whatever the issue is isn’t raising automatic errors , then chances are it will remain undetected  until whatever it is fails completely , or is repaired as part of routine maintenance.

If  you report it, you need to ensure the customer service representative realises it’s not an OR issue , if they send OR anyway and you get a visit, explain it’s not the lineplant but an exchange problem, OR may be able to redirect your fault report to the relevant department 

https://www.btplc.com/Newjoiners/Flipbook/TSO/files/assets/common/downloads/Insight%20into%20TSO.pdf

0 Ratings
Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 13

TSO doesn’t exist anymore. It went through a reorg some time back when the Group acquired EE and is now known as BT Technology.

0 Ratings
mghsuffulk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Thank you for your replies.

I obviously confused the issue by mentioning Openreach. I thought they worked in the Exchanges but they seem to just do the wiring...

The whole point of this post is to get something to happen. The post from @Starwire illustrates the problem, who do we chase this week before they change their name again.

Waiting for the kit to fail completely is not an option for good customer service. This is an ongoing regular fault spread over the entire Helmingham Exchange and affecting many customers.

There must be a central point that is not in India where I can voice our concerns.

0 Ratings
Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 13

BT Changing the organisations name has job has no bearing on the ability to do their job and is not for them to avoid doing it!

From what I can tell you know nothing about the Exchange Technology used but looks like you’ve nominated yourself as the Town Expert anyway.

What people need to do if they are experiencing problems with their phone service is Report a fault.

Chances are Openreach will be sent out first to do any Network Checks.

If they then prove it’s the Exchange Backhaul at fault they’ll refer the fault over to BT Technology.

0 Ratings
mghsuffulk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Whilst I may not know about exact exchange technology and I agree the name of an organisation is not relevant, why, when so many of us have reported this fault, has it not been dealt with?

Please do not dismiss my diagnosis out of hand. I do know the principles of land line technology including digital multiplexing and whilst I could not identify the exact piece of equipment causing the problem, I would hope the BT engineers could!

0 Ratings
Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 13

If you agree BT changing the name of Technology Service and Operations to BT Technology has no impact on their ability to do their job then why did you imply in your previous reply that it does?

’The post from @Starwire illustrates the problem, who do we chase this week before they change their name again.’

0 Ratings
mghsuffulk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Please stop being so precious.

This is about the Helmingham exchange customers...

0 Ratings