cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

How to self-install digital voice handsets on Smart Hub 2 with ADSL broadband and phone line?

I have moved house. At the previous address I had BT fibre essentials for fibre broadband and phone, a BT Smart Hub 2 and two dect digital phone handsets that connected wirelessly to the hub (via wifi I think). I've taken these two phone handsets and the hub to the new address. The only extra equipment BT have sent to me is an ADSL filter (with a phone and an adsl broadband socket). 

I think I should connect the adsl filter modem socket to the grey broadband socket on the Smart Hub 2. This was going to be an engineer install but they have changed it to a self-install. I phoned to ask about connecting the phone handsets and was told to connect the phone socket on the adsl filter to the green phone socket on the Smart Hub 2.

But I can't find any installation instructions on the internet that confirm this is correct. It seems like the green phone socket on the hub is for connecting a phone to the hub, but what I need to do is connect the phone line to the hub.  The BT digital voice handsets only have chargers, they don't have any phone socket on them.

How do I get the phones connected up now I have adsl instead of fibre? The install is on Monday 8th January, but I'm worried I don't have the equipment I need.

Update: After looking at another thread, I'm wondering if the telephone will just connect wirelessly like before - there doesn't need to be a telephone line into the hub. But if so, that raises two questions:

1. Is there any way to make use of the BT wall phone socket  / copper connection so that emergency calls can be made if the internet goes down. Ideally I'd want this to be a fallback so that if the internet connection fails, I automatically get a copper voice connection.

2. Why have they sent me an ADSL filter if I don't need to connect a telephone to the BT wall phone socket? (I thought the ADSL filter filtered out high pitched broadband modem noise from a phone connected to the same socket as the broadband). Wouldn't and adapter wire have been better?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: How to self-install digital voice handsets on Smart Hub 2 with ADSL broadband and phone line?

do you know if you will have digital voice at your new home ?  if not your phone will connect the openreach master socket.  if master only has 1 outlet you will need to use filter to enable your to use phone and connect hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 6

Re: How to self-install digital voice handsets on Smart Hub 2 with ADSL broadband and phone line?

If you have Digital Voice it will be exactly the same with ADSL as Fibre. Handsets don't connect via WiFi, the hub is a DECT base station.

Message 4 of 6

It was digital voice at the old address. I've had no communication from BT to say what is happening at the new address - but it's digital voice phones I have - without any phone socket in them.

I guess I need to phone BT to check if it will be digital voice - what's the other option?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Obviously your DV phones will only work if you have DV at your new address. Otherwise you will need to use a conventional analogue phone plugged into the analogue phone socket via a filter if necessary.

Message 6 of 6

BT say it will be digital voice, so everything should just work like before at the old address. Sounds Like I just need to connect a cable to the grey broadband socket, power everything on, and then everything will just work like before. I'll see what happens.

Thanks everyone for all your help. It has confirmed the advice given earlier this morning by BT was probably incorrect.

0 Ratings