cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 32

I can't connect to Digital Voice

Go to solution

I've been sent several emails and finally a message asking me to connect my landline to my BT hub. I don't have a digital voice handset and I can't afford to go out and buy more telephones. I can't connect my current phone to the hub as there is no telephone socket. Does this mean I will no longer be able to have a landline?

0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32

Re: I can't connect to Digital Voice

Go to solution

is there not a phone socket on back of hub with sticker saying digital voice?  if so remove sticker and connect your phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 32

Go to solution

@Jillity 

There is a phone socket on the back of the BT Smart Hub 2, where you can plug in your phone. It may be covered by a label.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 32

Go to solution
Thank you, yes I've found it. I don't have very good eyesight as I'm elderly so I didn't see it Why don't BT give a simple instruction to look for a sticker? It's black and to me it just blends in with the black plastic. I wouldn't have known there was a socket underneath.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 32

Go to solution

Just one other thing. Do I have to connect the phone to the hub or is it optional? If I have a power cut and I can't get a mobile signal I will be cut off and unable to summon help in an emergency.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 32

Go to solution

With BT Digital Voice, you will lose your phone line if you have a power cut. If you get a lot of power cuts, then some form of power backup would be advisable.

I believe that there are battery backup units which are suitable, as other forum members have mentioned them, and may be able to point to a suitable unit.

I think the home hub used a 12V input, but you would need to ask for advice.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 32

Go to solution

I can't afford to go buying an expensive battery. I've been advised to contact BT to see if I can keep the copper cable.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 32

Go to solution

@Jillity wrote:

I can't afford to go buying an expensive battery. I've been advised to contact BT to see if I can keep the copper cable.

The problem is not the copper cable, its the Telephone Exchange. BT are in the process of closing down the equipment in the exchange that provides the connection over the copper cable. This is due to be completed by 2025.

They are starting with those customers that have a fibre connection, as they are the most straightforward to convert.

I would hope that BT will consider some form of cheap battery backup, that can be supplied to customers on request. It not that difficult to do, even using normal alkaline batteries, provided the power cut is not very long.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 32

Go to solution

If it's essential to keep the phone operational then they need to supply free battery backup packs. I'm trying to contact them but the phone has been ringing now for 30 minutes and there's no sign of anyone answering.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 32

Go to solution

After thirty minutes an operator finally answered my phone call. She put me on hold for 15 minutes while she went to check up about my query. When she came back she said I was eligible for a free battery pack and would I hold while she ordered it. Twelve minutes later she came back and told me the pack had been ordered. The whole process has taken an hour. Surely BT could have checked this before they asked me to change to Digital Voice. The order could have been automated through the website. It would have saved half an hour of an operator's time. If anyone else wants a battery backup  pack ring BT on 0800 587 4787 and see if you can get one free.