cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 32

Re: I can't connect to Digital Voice

Go to solution

@Jillity wrote:

The line was intermittent due to interruption s in the power supply.

Do you have a direct fibre (FTTP) connection, with an Openreach unit which has lights on it, or do you just have the Smart Hub 2 which plugs into your phone socket on the wall?

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 32

Go to solution

It's the FTTP. There's nothing plugged into my phone socket any more.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 32

Go to solution

@Jillity wrote:

It's the FTTP. There's nothing plugged into my phone socket any more.

The problem I see, is that you need to provide power backup to both the Openreach modem, and the home hub. The unit that BT supply will only power one of those, according to the instructions, so unless you have an old FTTP installation which has its own battery backup unit, you are going to have a problem. Which one do you have, the older ones have two separate units, on of which is a BBU?

A better solution would be a mains output UPS which both units plug into, instead of directly into the mains socket on the wall.

I can see an awful lot of issue for customers.

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 32

Go to solution

Something like the Cyberpower BR700ELCD-UK (about £81) would seem more suitable, as you could also plug in any mains powered phones as well 

Keith_Beddoe_0-1624964976757.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 32

Go to solution

I don't have the old FTTP. It was only installed fairly recently. I asked for a battery backup system and this is what they ordered. I trusted BT to choose right equipment so that I wouldn't be left without a phone in case of emergency.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 32

Go to solution

@Jillity wrote:

I don't have the old FTTP. It was only installed fairly recently. I asked for a battery backup system and this is what they ordered. I trusted BT to choose right equipment so that I wouldn't be left without a phone in case of emergency.

In that case, if they only supply the FTTP version, then you will still lose phone service if the mains fails, as the Smart Hub 2 also needs to be powered up.

I cannot see BT supplying two units, on for the FTTP modem, and one for the Smart Hub 2, unless I am missing something in the instructions for the FTTP version of the backup unit, which allows both to be powered.

https://shop.bt.com/content/uni2/documentation/fv55/cyberpower_bbu__for_fttp.pdf

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 32

Go to solution

I'll see what arrives in the post and take it from there.

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 32

Go to solution

The promised battery backup still has not arrived. It was supposed to have been sent by 18th May.  BT claims the order is complete. I certainly didn't receive anything except a phone and wifi disc that I didn't order. It's now 13th August and still nothing. I don't believe they actually sent me a battery backup. How long is this going to take? If the power goes off and I can't get a mobile signal I am left without a phone. I'm in my seventies and I feel I really need that security. This has already been highlighted on BBC Spotlight and I know I'm not the only pensioner who has been left high and dry.

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 32

Go to solution

Hi @Jillity, sorry you've not received your battery backup unit yet. I've checked with the Digital Voice team and they have advised they are out of stock and they are expecting them in soon. Would you log into your MyBT and check if you have any open orders? If it is on order for you the order will show as open and be fulfilled as soon as they come back in stock.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 32

Go to solution

Thank you John. I have already checked my orders and it still says open. I really don't believe they've sent this out once already. I think they just sent the phone and wifi disc and closed the order. None of my parcels have ever gone astray. 

0 Ratings