cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RoyMS
Contributor
Message 51 of 63

Re: I have BT Call Protect, and have 'blocked' International calls, yet they are still getting throu

Go to solution

I am picking out BT because I am paying substantial sums of money each month to them - and to no - one else for a telephone service - which is unable to prevent (and may even be tacitly condoning) illegal operations against me.

sentinelvalue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 52 of 63

Re: I have BT Call Protect, and have 'blocked' International calls, yet they are still getting throu

Go to solution

RoyMS - welcome to real life.

If you're lucky to have parents who raised you correctly, they will have taught you a sense of right and wrong - 0 and 1 - black and white.

As you grow older you learn that the world is no longer 0 or 1 - black or white - but an infinite shades of greys and real numbers - not integers.  Is it still right to steal if you are trying to feed your children and you have no money ? Some people will say yes, some people will say no.

Essentially issues like this continue to happen, because there is not enough consensus or focus to actually stop it from happening.  This is why for anything that you want to get real change happening, you see very large immediate actions being taken with a large amount of people who focus the public's attention on such issues - of course if someone rich or famous is affected then this also helps.  In order for any movement not to stall, continued focus is required.

If some of the comments on this thread are to be believed, we are able to get humans into space and on the moon (as long as you don't believe the moon landings were faked !), yet humans lack the ability or cohesiveness to be able to design a global system that can thwart these types of calls.

Also you have to bear in mind that the world of legislation will always work slower than businesses and criminals do - so by this definition legislation will never be enough to resolve this issue.

The criminals have learnt that this is an easily targetable area which can yield returns for little or no real risk of ANY repurcussion - if you were criminally minded why WOULDN'T you take advantage of this situation ?

The rest of us pretty much have to take it on the chin.  

Welcome to real life.

RobFletcher
Expert
Message 53 of 63

Go to solution

So, after a while blocking all calls with Do Not Disturb, and monitoring my mums phone from afar - we hit this milestone today

I have found this is the only way to stop the scammers. Block ALL calls except those on your VIP list. Shame it costs £3.50 per month. This is genuine as I check all calls each day.

1000.JPG

0 Ratings
Message 54 of 63

Go to solution

Your post indicates a very realistic approach, and can give good results, apparently.

As for hospitals, surgeries etc, some of us will note that these services are increasingly asking us to “update our details” by giving a mobile number for contact......these calls don’t show as “withheld”.. ok if you are quick enough to respond, and your mobile  phone is always nearby-as I don’t think they will leave a message.

Fortunately I’m not in that position, and take the approach “don’t call me, i’ll Call you”.

There’s still the case where a friend positively refuses, as an ex directory user, to use the prefix to unwithhold.

It’s too fiddly.

0 Ratings
sentinelvalue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 55 of 63

Go to solution

@Andy_N - I believe the anti spoofing technology you may have been referring to (but not by name) is this - https://transnexus.com/whitepapers/understanding-stir-shaken/

It still relies on an external "look-up" to validate a user's number - although this lookup will be quicker as it is a simple certificate verification, it is even more open to abuse as all the spammers will do is to buy a certificate (or create their own certification entity) and they'll go back to their old ways.

I think the only foolproof method is to go back to smoke signals .. although they can also be hacked ! 😉

0 Ratings
paulm5
Beginner
Message 56 of 63

Go to solution

If scam callers use VOIP to spoof their number and BT know that, then only using the 'International flag' to detect International calls is both logically and professionally wrong!

BT Call protect should use the 'calling' number, as displayed to the receiver, as well as the 'International' flag.

I suspect that BT will not pay for the work as Call Protect is free, but it would be great Customer Relations ...

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 57 of 63

Go to solution

I agree we need some way to isolate the spoofed international numbers. However, I do believe that many UK companies use offshore call centres, but still use their UK numbers, so a genuine call could be seen as spoofed!

Also, don't forget that many spoofed numbers are genuine UK companies (as well as people!!!). So, some combo of spoof+International flag may be needed, but somehow avoid compromising those UK companies who have "offshored" their customer services.

e.g.: I think a well known floor cleaning device manufacturer (sounds like Tyson), goes to Asia. The annoying thing there is that they would pass you through to a "virtual technician" who would walk you through all the tests you need to do to troubleshoot, BUT, being many many hours ahead of us, by the time you get to that stage, their "technicians" had all gone home for the night! Just happened to me last week, and the first contact guy, poor English, was only a "script guy".

Rob.

0 Ratings
Firefox1701
Contributor
Message 58 of 63

Go to solution

The bottom line is that there is no way  -  absolutely no way  -  to completely prevent scam calls getting through,  or at least not without causing yourself a certain amount of collateral inconvenience.    As has been said elsewhere,  scammers  ( criminals )  are and always will be one step ahead of the authorities,  because they don't have protocols and regulations within which they have to operate.    For any individual telephone provider  -  never mind all of them  -  to come up with a blanket solution to this would require a colossal investment of resources and finance.    When you consider that in some cases they're not even willing to invest the resources and finance required to even get your phone and broadband working properly,  it really doesn't seem likely that they're going to go for this  -  as witness the fact  ( again,  as mentioned repeatedly elsewhere )  that it has been going on for years.

Facilities exist whereby you can blacklist numbers,  but scammers can change their originating numbers hundreds of times daily.    Facilities exist whereby you can whitelist numbers,  but then there's the risk of not being able to receive calls from legitimate callers.    Until such time as the telecoms providers around the world do get together and take decisive action  -  and I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you  -  it falls to the individual to find the  ( partial )  solution that works best for them.

I would humbly suggest that arguably the best solution is to have the system  ( I'm not sure what it's called,  but someone on here will know )  where callers have to announce themselves and be approved by the recipient before the call is allowed through.    Alternatively you can simply not answer calls from any number you don't recognise;   I take the view that if it is a genuine call and they can't be bothered to leave a message,  **** them.    This,  of course,  doesn't stop the phone ringing in the first place,  and may well not be workable for older people.    For those of us  ( myself included )  with older phones,  even the old-school solution of using a simple  'screamer'  device does have some merit,  although once again I concede that it doesn't stop the phone ringing in the first place.

Which method or combination of methods you choose is up to the individual,  but the fact remains that none of these will absolutely block all scammers or nuisance calls without exception.    That,  as has been said previously,  is simply the world we live in,  and expecting that any telephone provider will make it otherwise is,  forgive me for being blunt,  simply barking in the dark.

RobFletcher
Expert
Message 59 of 63

Go to solution

Yes, I agree with all he above ... in the case of my mother (96 years old), she does not need to be woken in the early hours or late at night by these scam calls. The only solutions to prevent ANY ring on the phone are (a) No phone, ( but not feasible!), or (b0 Use a whitelist and accept the inconvenience.

I my mother's case, I monitor her phone many times a day, and check and numbers which "might" be important, but were not on her list. The only ones so far tend to be NHS numbers, so I have been able to call them and find out what they want and maybe add them to the whitelist. Not sure what to do with WITHELD numbers.

So far she has had 1352 calls blocked, average of about 9-12 per day! Very few numbers have needed attention, so this is the real scale. The scammers are of course making money from all this by getting many elderly to give up bank details for e.g. washing machine/boiler insurance etc...

Also, please remember, these scammers on the phone are NOT the people raking in the millions of pounds of money. They get paid a pittance by the people at the top funding and running these call centres in Spain and Asia. [I have a certain amount of "insider" information here with contacts with the National e-Crime Unit].

In the end, the only way to stem this is for authorities in those countries to take down the call centres and jail the "overlords".

For those who don't want ANY phone to ring unless permitted, is to sign onto a whiltelist system (BT's VIP List and Do Not Disturb does work well, but there are others). 

Blocking is simply not useful because they numbers are changed all the time (it's a computer doing it!). Also, to block a number it has to ring first! At 11pm, 1am or 6am is not acceptable to frail elderly lonely people.

Rob.

pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 60 of 63

Go to solution

Hi @Firefox1701 ,

If you want to stop all unwanted calls then get a call barring phone, there are many - google them

0 Ratings