cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shab245
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

I've just received automated call from 01293739229 claiming to be BT Fraud dept, is this bogus?

Go to solution

Automated call from 01293739229 claiming to be BT Fraud dept and asking me to call 0800 041 8725 as my IP address had been accessed from abroad. Is this a genuine call or should I block number? Tried contacting BT direct via Live Chat etc but no response!! (Great eh!!?)

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: I've just received automated call from 01293739229 claiming to be BT Fraud dept, is this bogus?

Go to solution

The number doesn't exist, a sure sign that it was bogus. Always worth checking an unrecognised number, using 141 to conceal your own number.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 12

Re: I've just received automated call from 01293739229 claiming to be BT Fraud dept, is this bogus?

Go to solution

@Shab245wrote:

Automated call from 01293739229 claiming to be BT Fraud dept and asking me to call 0800 041 8725 as my IP address had been accessed from abroad. Is this a genuine call or should I block number? Tried contacting BT direct via Live Chat etc but no response!! (Great eh!!?)

Hi, welcome to the forums.

It's a scam which has been going on for months in this particular guise. Although the number is allocated to Magrathea, it will have been spoofed by the scammers as they use VoIP systems.

It's never best to ring back any number. If you were told to phone an 0800 number, that would seem strange as these numbers need to be setup to be delivered. It might even be a number that the scammers want people to swamp with calls.

0 Ratings
Loza
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Yes!! BE CAREFUL! 

It was an indian guy by the name of "Kevin Valency", claiming that he's from British Telecoms - who had my phone number, home address and surname was trying to tell me that people from Nigeria have reached my IP address and getting all my personal details. He wanted me to download remote viewing software so he could "remote view" my computer! 

He could not tell me what the name of my BT Hub was (he tried to ask me what I see on the screen) - he said some guy will come to my home on Saturday to fit it a new router. I told him to send me an official email about it, but he couldn't. 

He told me to call 0800 041 8725 extension number 9158. When I told him I don't believe he's from BT he got quite aggressive and started swearing at me!

BE CAREFUL PEOPLE!

0 Ratings
DanielS
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Hi All,

Thanks for flagging this to me. Both of these numbers have now been terminated by the company who provided those numbers. 

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
PV
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Just received a call from an indian guy, stating he was calling from BT headquarters, advising someone has been trying to hack to our computer. He also mentioned that our IP address was public and that was an issue (it's not). They mentioned 3 banks in the UK that are apparently safe, but the rest can be hacked. They wanted to log onto our laptop remotely. We put the phone down, but he was quite persistant and called again. Obviously, we did not pick up the phone  again nor gave him any details.

Be careful! They will ask you to download TeamViewer which is a software used to log into someone else's computer. Even if you download TeamViewer, do not give them the ID and password as they will log into your computer remotely.

0 Ratings
Butterfly72
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Hi we just got a call today from 4412241455430 it was automated message and it said your internet will be hacked press one or press two this is a call from b t my husband just put the phone down so now he is worried sick about using the internet and has someone hacked into the phone and internet can anyone help 

K Kirk
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

as you can see from other posts it is just a scam  ignore it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

@Butterfly72wrote:

Hi we just got a call today from 4412241455430 it was automated message and it said your internet will be hacked press one or press two this is a call from b t my husband just put the phone down so now he is worried sick about using the internet and has someone hacked into the phone and internet can anyone help 

Hi, welcome to the forums.

This is 100% scam.

The number has been spoofed and is not even a proper UK number (too long after the 44). Did the automated actually say "your internet has been hacked", rather than will be hacked? That's the usual scam message.

Ignore it, there are millions of these calls worldwide.

0 Ratings
Butterfly72
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Hi yes my husband took the call it definitely said it had been hacked press one or two this is b t and my husband said we had to download a software he ignored it and put the phone down 

K Kirk
0 Ratings