cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 41

Re: I want my analogue phone line back - urgently

The Government/OFGEM don't care.  The same dumb attitude prevails over food security, energy security, defence, etc.   The present global chaos caused by yet another in a long line of psychopathic nutters again proves the old adage “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 41

@MarmadukeTheEighth   @rural-dweller  The change to VoIP is fait accompli.   Write to your MP or the chairperson of the DCMS Committee to make your views known.    Some information about power supply and resilience at https://bt-digital-voice.blogspot.com/

Message 33 of 41

It's looking like Openreach have lucked in & are getting BT retail to take all the flack for this here, fact is the PSTN is being decommissioned so no matter how much people moan & drag their heels the change will happen

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 41

Of course it is a fait accompli, like many other steps along the road to 'progress' that prove later to have been unwise, but it needn't prevent opinions being expressed on the matter. 

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 41

BT have provided me with 2 x CyberPower BR1000ELCD to back up my Hub & ONT. Mfr explains back up period for Mac & desktop. Does anyone have any idea how long the backup would be for phone use only?
0 Ratings
Message 36 of 41

my mistake when I typed Ofgem - should, of course, have been OFCOM
0 Ratings
Message 37 of 41

@rural-dweller 

The battery for the CyberPower BR1000ELCD-UK is specified at https://www.batterytrader.com/br1000elcd-uk-rbp0117-battery-cyberpower-ups-replacement-p-46558.html  .   Its capacity is quoted as 9Ah, so in theory if the battery was supplying the Smart Hub 2 directly at maximum continuous current demand of 850mA (as I measured it - see https://bt-digital-voice.blogspot.com/ ) it would last 9/0.85 = 11.25 hours.   That figure would never be reached in practice.   CyberPower's runtime chart specifies a 60 minute runtime for a load of 60W;  the chart does not go below that load.  Power demand for the Hub will be much lower;  maximum consumption for the Hub  is quoted by BT as 14.04W.   However, the UPS you have been given has an inverter to convert 12V to 230V, and this process creates a loss, so that will reduce runtime.    Ultimately I think you would have to run the Hub on the UPS with mains disconnected to determine how long it lasts.

This kind of UPS seems to be overkill for low-current devices, and it will not make full use of the available energy stored in the battery.   I wonder why BT have supplied it.  Can I ask if it was supplied free, and if so whether you qualify on grounds of vulnerability or because of a history of power cuts? 

0 Ratings
Message 38 of 41

@MarmadukeTheEighth   I'm not suggesting that you should not express your opinions, only that airing these views on this forum will not influence  BT's decision.

0 Ratings
Message 39 of 41

@JB2016 

You also need to factor in the ONT which needs to be powered in addition to the hub to get DV to work

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 40 of 41

@imjolly  I appreciate that.  @rural-dweller stated that he has been given two UPS units, and anyway the maximum demand of the ONT will, I suspect, be in the order of 1A as specified for the Nokia ONT.

0 Ratings