cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 41

Re: I want my analogue phone line back - urgently

so contrary to your initial post where you were concerned during a power cut  'how do we summon help from friends, family or the emergency services?????'  you actually have a mobile phone although not a smartphone it is capable of making and receiving calls and text over a mobile network.  So you are not cut off from everyone - or am I missing something

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 12 of 41

Unbelievable, you have a device that performs exactly the same function as an analogue landline but you want to duplicate it!

Message 13 of 41

@MarmadukeTheEighth wrote:

Most replies seem to reflect the wider problem we have in the UK; prejudice towards the elderly and those less fortunate.  "Lump it mate" is the order of the day then.

Unless I am mistaken. I don't think any of the posters who have replied to your post are under the age of 65 years so I very much doubt that there is prejudice towards the elderly except perhaps in your own mind!

Message 14 of 41

This ofcom document seems to cover what providers should do maintain service during a power cut.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/123118/guidance-emergency-access-power-cut.pdf#... 

the final guidance is in Annex 1. A quick glance indicates what should be done but it doesn’t indicate who pays, the customer or the service provide. I suspect this guidance applies to all provides and not just BT.

Message 15 of 41

The important bit.

This statement confirms the Principles we set out in our consultation. In summary:
1. Providers should have at least one solution available that enables access to emergency
organisations for a minimum of one hour in the event of a power outage in the
premises;
2. The solution should be suitable for customers’ needs and should be offered free of
charge to those who are at risk as they are dependent on their landline;
3. Providers should i) take steps to identify at risk customers and ii) engage in effective
communications to ensure all customers understand the risk and eligibility criteria and
can request the protection solution; and
4. Providers should have a process to ensure that customers who move to a new house or
whose circumstances change in some other way are aware of the risk and protection
solution available

So BT just needs to identify venerable customers, most of whom would already be on the priority fault repair list, and supply a power backup unit(s) free of charge.

Message 16 of 41

Isn't the OP's statement something akin to what happened in the late 1930s when electric lighting overtook light in the home powered by gas?  Things move on.  BT is not moving from analogue to digital just to annoy some people!  It is just a natural progression, moving from an old, unreliable and failing infrastructure to a new, better and faster one.   

We all have fond memories of sipping Brown Windsor Soup in the Dining Car of the (not so) Flying Scotsman back in the day but forget that it cost a fortune to travel on a rickety old train which took hours to get to its final destination.  I'm much happier today to do the journey from Newcastle to KX in 3 hours in a new, fast, bright, comfortable Azuma ECML train with onboard information, Wi-Fi and charging points.

RIC9380

P.S.  I don't really miss the Brown Windsor Soup!

Message 17 of 41

There are lots or examples of  ‘Luddites’ resistant to change , removal of leaded petrol , even though it was primarily due to health concerns , had those of a similar mindset to the OP complaining that their vehicle couldn’t run on unleaded, or more recently the analogue TV transmission turn off , had the usual faux outrage about ‘poor pensioners’ who wouldn’t be able to afford a Freeview TV or set top box , all these  passed as will this ….it’s ( IMHO ) a little self entitled to expect a system that is already passed it’s use by date to be maintained for a  few refuseniks.

There is a simple solution, it’s ambiguous who should ‘pay’ for a UPS , but it’s available , and the ubiquitous mobile phone that can be had for very little cost  , and a PAYG sim , could  be used for the odd occasion when a power cut disables a phone system based on VOIP, and what’s more , would be useful should the OP have the need to contact someone in an  ‘emergency’ away from the home, a car journey for example , it appears at the moment the OP is relaxed about any potential  ‘emergency’ when away from the home ( otherwise a mobile would already be available) , but a little paranoid when at home.

Message 18 of 41

This was 3yrs ago and was only a consultation report

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 19 of 41

@licquoricewrote:

As a fellow septuagenarian, I find it offensive that you consider age to be a reason for technophobia.

Hear, Hear from a 76 year old! 😂

Message 20 of 41

Apart from a couple of posts all I've received is abuse and mockery, some 'community'...   More redolent of BT's attitude in fact.  How many respondents are in fact BT employees I wonder?

Whether the comedians and self-appointed Yodas here like or not, this is a real and worrying issue with many people.  I will pursue this elsewhere, hopefully in a more appropriate place where some generous spirits are prepared to suggest practical help instead of showering me with ageist derision.