Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ricardo999
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Incoming calls not ringing

Go to solution

Incoming calls not ringing

I’ve got a BT 8500 (Quad) cordless phone with 4 handsets.

When I get an incoming call, NONE of the phones ring. However, the call history shows the incoming calls number.

I’ve tried a corded phone, and that doesn’t ring.

I’ve taken the Master Socket cover off, and plugged both the Cordless and Corded phones into the test socket, and still they don’t ring

I get a dialling tone, and can make outgoing calls.

Any ideas please?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Incoming calls not ringing

Go to solution

Its most likely a faulty line card in the exchange, not providing any ringing current.

You will still see the displayed number as that is sent electronically, just before the first ring.

Report the fault to your phone service provider.

Ricardo999
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks Keith,  BT coming out tomorrow , hopefully no charge  !!

0 Ratings
Ricardo999
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Its most likely a faulty line card in the exchange, not providing any ringing current.

You will still see the displayed number as that is sent electronically, just before the first ring.

Report the fault to your phone service provider.

Exactley what you said Keith , the engineer shot of to the exchange and did his magic. All working now.

I dropped in the convesation what you had diagnosed, and he thiught I worked for BT   !!!!

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Excellent Smiley Happy

I worked for BT for nearly 42 years, and it was quite a common fault. The exchanges are getting very old now, and the line cards fail.

As each card has a number of customers on it, then it would not be changed unless all ports are fauty. All that would have been done in your case, would be to move your line to another line card, a simple re-jumpering job and a software routing change.