cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Installation in a rented flat

Go to solution

Hi all

I live in a rented flat but can't tell what is already set up here and landlord has been no help.  All they've said is that if any work is needed on the property, I must request in writing. 

There does seem to be a little box on the wall labelled 'BT Openreach'  with what looks like a phone and WiFi ethernet line. But I am not totally sure.

Will the engineer let me know when they come? 

Can I be sure they won't do any external/internal work on my property until ive spoken to them or they've visited my flat? 

Like they're not going to suddenly start digging up my driveway or something. 

I have to ask landlord permission for any work needed.  So will I be told what needs to be done?

It's all very confusing.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Installation in a rented flat

Go to solution

@penguin9 

Have you placed an order with BT Retail?

Its Openreach that visit to do the work.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Hi,

I haven't placed an order anywhere yet 

Before I buy anything I just want to know that BT will tell me in advance before doing any internal or external work 

Then I can request permission from landlord

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

you will need to clarify with your selected ISP whichever you choose.  as @Keith_Beddoe said this has nothing to do with BT Retail unless you have already placed an order

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

@penguin9 wrote:

Hi,

I haven't placed an order anywhere yet 

Before I buy anything I just want to know that BT will tell me in advance before doing any internal or external work 

Then I can request permission from landlord

Nothing will happen until you place your order. You will be given an installation date, and if there is an existing phone socket, that will be used.

If there are any problems, you will be told about them by Openreach.

If you are choosing a different provider, then you need to ask the same questions on their user forum, as nobody on this BT Retail Customer forum will be able to help.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

You’re overthinking it. As you mentioned there’s a Telephone Socket in there already so clearly there has been service in there before.

As to what work may or may not be needed to connect your line is anyone’s guess.

Just place an order and if you’re then told it requires something drastic like digging up your driveway you can always just cancel the order.

Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks.  I do know that about the ISP.  I should have made clearer that I am ordering with BT specifically, hence why I am posting here. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

I have since made my order with BT.

The whole reason I was a bit anxious about this, is because i just went through a complicated process with Virgin Media who were about to do external work with no permission - despite me calling and telling them they had to wait. I ended up cancelling them and going to BT instead

Thank you for all of your replies, they were reassuring. 

0 Ratings