cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Keeping my landline number

Hello everyone!

I have an unusual situation and I wonder if anyone has been through a similar experience and can offer any advice?

We are moving home soon. We already own our new home and have done for some time as we've been renovating it. We've had broadband there with talk talk the whole time. When we move, we need to keep the phone number that's already there but we'd like to transfer BT with us.

So:

Moving from house 1 (currently with BT broadband) to house 2 (currently talk talk broadband). Would like to take BT with us to house 2 but need to keep the phone number that's already at house 2.

Have just spoken to an advisor who suggested it should be possible but would need to get the BT services up and running at house 2 with a new number then request a re-number to get the existing number back. There's no guarantee that they can do it and we won't know until we request the re-number, by which time it'll be too late if we can't get it back.

Does anyone know if there's a better way? Should I just cancel BT at house 1, wait a month then phone BT as a new customer from house 2 and ask to keep my existing number?

Has anyone actually done this, successfully or otherwise?

Thank you for any advice. 

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Keeping my landline number

The advice given is correct, there's no guarantee the renumber will work.
You could setup a 2nd account with BT to takeover the TT line but again there's no guarantee, highly possible to retain but never 100% yes, once your 2nd house is up and running with BT, you can cancel house 1 but be mindful of any early termination fees if you're within a minimum term at house 1

The downside is a new account would be a new credit check and any setup costs that come with it, it's up to you what option works best for you.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

@Stuart01 

The number at the second house would be owned by TT, so I think you may run into issues, as BT would not be able to do a renumber to a TT number, you would have to accept a new number.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

@Stuart01 

What @-Richie-  may work, but as explained, you would need to create a new BT service at house 2.

The other issue would be if house 2 is not connected to the same exchange building as house 1, then a renumber would not be possible.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Why not port the number across to a VOIP provider? You can take the number with you wherever you go in the country via any broadband supplier. I have an alagoue terminal adaptor programmed up with a number that is not geographical to where I actually live. I use a company called Sipgate. It's a payg number which is great for incoming calls as that does get charged to me. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

@-Richie- 

Thanks. BT have offered a good deal if we "move" them with us to house 2 and let them take over from TT, and if keeping the same number is never guaranteed it seems that this will be the way forward. We've gone past the minimum term in house 1 so no problem there though.

Thanks for your advice.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

@Keith_Beddoe

Thanks. The number at house 2 was originally issued by BT some years ago so hopefully there won't be any issues with TT owning it.

Thanks for your advice.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

@Devon_Dave ,

Thanks for the advice. You've given me some stuff to Google there as I'm not familiar with VOIP or Analogue Terminal Adaptors!

0 Ratings