cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulMichael
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Landline and VoIP

I understand that from 2025 all telephone lines will be switched from analogue to digital (VoIP) in the same way television changed a few years ago.

VoIP means no line rental but there will be a "cloud use" fee which should be cheaper as should call plans.

I note that BT Business are now offering packages including VoIP and wondered when BT Residential will be doing the same.

When I rang BT Residential sales yesterday, the lady had no idea when this would be happening.

Does anyone know ?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
barnpiece
Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Landline and VoIP

We will all be moving our landlines to broadband over the next few years so that they can decommision the old exchange equipment. You will have cordless DECT handsets which connect wirelessly to the BT Smart Hub 2,and you can plug a corded phone into the hub if you wish.

The costs are the same with pay as you go or 700 (or 500) minutes or all inclusive, but you do get calling features included, no hour limit and calls to mobiles included. See:

https://www.bt.com/help/landline/what-is-digital-voice-and-how-can-i-get-it-

Richard

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

only openreach would know the answer to when digital voice will be available to everyone.  at present many residential customer already have digital voice delivered by the SH2 which acts as router and dect base station.

I have digital voice as do many other posters on the forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
PaulMichael
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Thank you, that's great.

I'll try BT sales - again!

0 Ratings
PaulMichael
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Thank you, all noted.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Don't make the mistake of thinking that there will be no 'Line rental' if you move to VOIP. You still need physical wires or fibre to provide the broadband.

PaulMichael
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Thanks, noted. I think they call it cloud licence as opposed to line rental.

0 Ratings