cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Landline calls cut off in mid conversation and hearing other calls on the line

Sometimes when I make a call, a crackling sound occurs in mid-conversation and cuts the call off. This has happened on calls to different numbers whether they are to a landline or mobile local or national.

Sometimes when I make a call, the sound has been very distorted and when this happens I've heard someone picking up there phone and hanging up whilst the number I'm calling is ringing. The last time someone picked it up, they said hello, they could hear me and they said there phone was ringing in a strange ring tone and they could hear my active call.

I've done a few line tests and they come back normal, I've tried different phones on this line and it still occurs.

Now the problem I face is that this problem is on and off and if an engineer comes and doesn't experience this, then I'm scared of being charged £85 for their visit especially when there are 4 line tests done saying there is no fault.

I don't have extensions on this line, there is no broadband connection on this copper line, its landline only. My Broadband is supplied by Vodafone using Openreach Fibre to the premises but is a separate cable on the other side of the house leading to a different telegraph pole on the street where the copper line is pretty much independent of the fibre cable leading to another telegraph pole.

So there isn't a problem with Broadband static.

Is this a fault at the exchange? 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Landline calls cut off in mid conversation and hearing other calls on the line

If you pay BT for this landline only connection, ( but it would be the same with any provider ) , you need to accept the potential for charges , if you require an Openreach visit , on a line that tests OK , but if you are happy that the issue must be external , and not something you are responsible for , then you should report it, worry free, why would you think you are likely to be charged if the fault is external ?
Obviously you should establish as far as possible that the issue cannot be on what you are responsible for, that would usually entail plugging into the master socket test port to elimate any non OR wiring , and personally I would try a corded phone ( not cordless ) just in case the issue was with that…otherwise you are probably worrying for nothing.
Why would you have a BT landline and broadband from a separate company ?
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Landline calls cut off in mid conversation and hearing other calls on the line

I tried both corded and cordless. The usual phone is a BT Paragon 650 phone.

Both phones presented the same issue.

The BT landline is with BT retail. The reason for separate FTTP broadband and copper line service providers is because Vodafone didn't offer its VoiP phone service at the time I started the contract and I need a landline phone because sometimes I work from home and the mobile signal isn't very good. Also since Vodafone have launched the voip phone service, I tried it and its terrible because there are no calling features or voicemail or anything like that except for 1471 and anonymous call baring.

Vodafone's voip for full fibre customers is no good for my need, I get a lot of incoming calls so Call waiting is needed and Call divert when I'm not at home so I can be reached all the time whatever number people have.

Vodafone's website displays a calling features bundle for £2.50, they charged me that when I ordered that and the calling features didn't work when trying to use them, so I called them back and they told me it's only for people who have copper lines. So regardless what the Vodafone home phone guide says, these services are only available to people who get there phone service on a copper line and was refunded the £2.50 monthly fee.

When the Vodafone contract ends I'm definitely moving everything to BT and will be asking for Digital Voice and that will certainly end any issues with copper lines and the lack of services Vodafone offers on its home phone voip service.

0 Ratings