cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oliveranp
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Landline number

My elderly parents recently changed phone suppliers and despite requesting their landline be transferred it was not and they have been told it has been realeased. They are really upset as they have had this number for 40 years and all their relatives have it abroad. They are in their 70s and don’t use mobiles. It was originally a by number and they are still at the same address. The number was cancelled by TalkTalk on 22 March - is there any way it could be retrieved for them - it would make their day as they panic about these kind of things! Any assistance you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Landline number

@Oliveranp just to clarify, 

It was previously held by BT, then moved to TalkTalk and who have they moved to now? 

I am not sure who would be responsible for retrieving the number, maybe the new provider. 

I am sure someone with a bit more knowlege will advise, just wanted to clarify the situation to help them and you. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Oliveranp
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Thank you! They moved to Sky who say they can’t retrieve number as TalkTalk “disposed” of it. It’s probably a no hoper, but I will give anything a try, because it is very important to them to get “their” number back.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

It would depend on which provider originally owned the number . If their first ever provider was BT Retail, and they have never moved address, then the number should still exist on the local BT exchange.

If they started with a different provider, then that may be the problem, as that provider would own the number.

Oliveranp
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Thank you Keith, they were BT for years before they moved so fingers crossed the number has gone back to BT and I can retrieve it for them.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

iniltous
Guru
Message 7 of 13

Just to be clear, do you want BT to provide your parents service ( so in effect cancel Sky) or BT assist in helping Sky get the number ?, if you ( or your parents ) are happy to become a BT customer , then it's possible that the number could be re- allocated ( although it probably wouldn't be instant , a new BT number then a renumber back to the original number ), if what you want is for BT to assist in Sky getting the required number, then the chances are that as they not 'BT' customers there would be nothing BT could or would do for someone who isn't a customer, BT are not responsible for rectifying other Telco's mistakes

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

@iniltous is correct, BT can only help if you are wanting to be a BT Retail customer, not if you want to transfer to anyone  else.

The answer is for them to move back to BT Retail.

0 Ratings
Oliveranp
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Thank you - they are desperate to get the number back so I think they would change provider again
0 Ratings
Oliveranp
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

Thank you so much
0 Ratings