cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Landline will not receive calls.

I can make calls on my BT landline, but not receive them. If the caller tries to ring, the call does not connect, but still records that a call has been received, including the number  on 1471.  We also have BT Broadband, which is fine. Have had problems twice  before where the line was completely dead. This was resolved at the local exchange.  A fault diagnostic says this time the fault is within the property, but everything looks okay and the phone is fine for outgoing calls and Broadband. We recently had a power outage for 4 hours not sure if it was faulty before that though. Any advice appreciated to fix without an engineer visit. 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Landline will not receive calls.

@Maybee23 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Ring your home phone from a mobile. When you can hear it ringing out, pickup your phone and see if it answers the call. It does not matter if it does not ring at this point.

If you can answer the phone, then its more likely an exchange fault.

A fault on the exchange line card is the normal cause of no ringing current. If another phone does the same, then that is the most likely cause. It can easily be sorted by an Openreach Frames Technician.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for your quick reply. It does not ring on the caller's phone unfortunately. Just cuts out straightaway or tries to ring for a few seconds then goes dead. We did try picking up the landline anyway but could not connect. Although as I said it will record on 1471 that someone has called.
Does a fault on the exchange line card mean an Engineer needs to come to the house?
Thanks
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

It could be an exchange fault, but it sounds more like a line fault, causing "ring trip". I could still be something at your end, so you need to try plugging a known good phone, into the test socket on your phone master socket, to eliminate any problems with your phone wiring.

I assume you are still on an analogue phone service, and not on BT Digital Voice, (where the phone is plugged into the Smart Hub 2)?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

We will try that thank you. Yes still on analogue.
0 Ratings