cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: Landline woes

Go to solution
Hi
"Digital voice" is not the issue, I didn't ask for it it just turned up from bt as a "free upgrade" if I was to use that I would need to buy another 2 phones to put me back where I was before this.
As my existing phones are bt branded I would expect them to work, is there perhaps some spec for wireless house phones needed before they will work ?

D*ck
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

Go to solution

if you read the FAQ that will hopefully answer your questions

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-FAQs/td-p/2207485

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 13 of 20

Go to solution
IMJ
"are you able to dial 17070 as the number will be repeated so you can note for future ? "
Forgot about that thanks
yes number is what I expected it to be & all the other tests on the line are OK

D*ck

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution

Any existing digital (DECT) phone system should work once digital voice is activated, provided the base station is plugged into the phone socket on the back of the smart hub 2. That socket replicates the original copper connection.

I would suspect that your old copper line is now a "stopped" line, and your original number has not yet been transferred over to digital voice.

Your new BT suppled phones will not work until digital voice is activated.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution

Lets clarify for you.

If you have Digital Voice your copper landline will no longer work, just Digital Voice.

Digital Voice can be basically accessed via 2 methods.

1. By using the supplied DV handsets which are DECT (cordless) and connect to the hub as if the hub was a standard cordless base station.

2. By using any analogue phone or existing cordless system which needs to be plugged into the green socket at the rear of the hub. I.e you master socket is now the hub.

Message 16 of 20

Go to solution

Oh Dear  😞

Just received a msg from bt telling me my phone service is now activated. Never thought it would take that long to activate after the broadband.

Light on hub page is now "blue" & house phones work when plugged into hub

The faceplate the engineer fitted to the master socket is supposed to do the job of the D/A adapter that bt supply on request but doesn't work , perhaps he just fitted the normal ADSL filter by mistake ?

Not a huge problem apart from the base station with the answer machine now has to be close to the hub

YES........... I know the digi phone bt sent has an answer facility but if I switch to that I need to buy another couple of handsets (not cheap !!)

This problem is more or less solved apart from not being able to use my "house" phones in the way I want to

I'll see if I can get a D/A "adapter"  that will work

Off now to look for a slice of "humble pie"

D*ck

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 20

Go to solution

Keith, Liquorice
Posted my reply above before seeing your replys
I know digital is the way forward but as the master socket is in the main bedroom I would like to be able to have the base station out in the lounge where we are used to having it 🙂

D*ck

ps......... I now have 2 numbers, 

1 is the DV handset number which has a semi close geographical number

2 is a "landline" number which is a local number only a few digits away from the local numbers here

I see a nightmare coming with the "calling plan" billing

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 20

Go to solution

If you want to use your existing extension wiring, buy an extension phone socket and fit adjacent to your master socket. Remove the cable that is connected to terminals 2&5 in the master socket (extension wiring) and connect to terminals 2&5 in the new extension socket. Then buy a BT431 -BT431 double ended cable and connect the hub green socket to the new extension socket. Your existing wiring will then function as before.

Message 19 of 20

Go to solution
licquorice

Good solution, thank you

D*ck
0 Ratings
Message 20 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks for all the responses, advice & solutions, appreciated  🙂

BT is a bit of a strange operation these days, if it wasn't for this forum & the advice available along with the opportunity it offers to engage with the Mods when things go wrong I would certainly have been off to another supplier.

D*ck

0 Ratings