cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Latest scam call

Received a call via BT Truecall  Guardian at 8.00pm 29/3/2022. Although the caller was announced I could not make out the name clearly and had not checked the number on the phone as I had thought it might be the local police on a reported matter. The caller asked for confirmation of my surname, but noticing that the caller had a broken English voice and sounded Asian like Chinese. The caller stated he was from  a share holding company and that I had BT shares with them. Although I do have shares with BT I denied this with the caller who then said my name was down on a list as having shares with BT.At  this point I terminated the call. Everyone knows that BT like many other companies sell details but how has scammers got hold of a list with details of people having shares with BT. 
I am a retired BT employee who did 47 years service with BT but this is the first time I have received a scam call referring to BT shares. Naturally, I immediately changed my password. The annoying thing is I have very rarely gone on the share view site. Probably once in every few years, so how have these scammers got details? 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Latest scam call

@hubbys  It could just have been random, I get many calls that seem to think they know what I have, few are correct.

If they send enough calls they get some percentage that match up and may succeed, there are a lot of BT share holders.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

You would be very surprised at how guess work on an industrial scale is done by scammers. To me sounds like the call came from the Philippines. Like India, there are a lot of call centres for UK services based there and some of the workers are corrupt.

May I also advise you not to use the same password for everything online, you separate passwords for things like email,Internet banking,share view ect...and always log out when finished rather than clicking on Close Page.

If you have BT Call protect on 1572 try and add this call to your personal blacklist, I'm sure by doing this, it will prevent the caller from contacting other BT customers.

If you have the time and date and the number they called from and the basic details of what happened during the call, please report it to the share service, there should be an email address on there to report Phishing scams.

Please be advised that BT and EE no longer use Foreign call centres, so anyone from a foreign call centre with the exception of Ireland are not genuine.

Hope this helps!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

As far as I am aware, the Irish call centres are in NI, so I would be wary of calling them foreign.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Thanks Bob. I appreciate what your saying. 
Regards,

Paul

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Thank you for your reply. All what you suggested I have already done and being an experienced retired BT employee, as an engineer, and various departments including high level complaints I am fully aware of how essential different passwords are required and how to block numbers. I have also already notified the share service, but thanks again for your advice.

This is a new type of scam that I have put on the forum mainly to make others aware.

kind regards,

Paul

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

I always thought there was one in Republic of Ireland for one of the legacy services, I can't remember but I did see some marketing somewhere that mentioned BT/EE only uses British and Irish call centres, I am aware of Northern Ireland have some call centres I wasn't referring to these. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

I did see some marketing somewhere that mentioned BT/EE only uses British and Irish call centres

Its quite possible, lets see if a moderator can clarify this, as they are in NI.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

It’s obvious to reading the replies on this forum of my notification on the scam has been treated completely out of context. For a start I never even mentioned about any call centre, only that the voice heard was the sound of a Chinese type accent. How do you know the voice was more likely to come from the Philippines? As I previous mentioned this message was only to make people aware and the response that I have received has been indicated as if I am thick or stupid. Do you not think being a BT employee for 47 years that I would not recognise a scam call of this kind and not carry out all relevant precautions and actions. It seems that others answering this forum have deviated from this scam message to now identify call centres in NI, because they have assumed or decided that the call was from a call centre abroad. The fact is in the matter is nothing to do with a call centre but the scam call received was a first certainly for me  stating I was on a list of having BT shares. After asking around from fellow ex colleagues none of them have received this type of scam call. So this is a new type of scam call trying to gain access to sharesave account information and that is the point I was making. So please do not add further complications that do not refer to the topic.

0 Ratings