cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Lost Landline number, can anyone help please?

Go to solution

Hi hope you don't mind me asking for help but I see a few others have been helped with this same issue.

In January I signed up to move from landline and Broadband supplier 'ThePhoneCoop' to Vodafone as they are supplying FTTP Gigafast. Unfortunately Vodafone have messed up at every stage and are currently clueless on how to supply the service.

After 5 months its time to give up so I want to get my old phone line back and start again. Vodafone had attempted to port my existing landline number but haven't managed to complete it, for a short while I could receive mobile calls to it but not landline to landline, some issues with it being VOIP, now I get no calls and no dial tone at all.

I've checked and the original provider of the number was BT, so if I take out a new Phone Landline contract with BT would I be able to retrieve my number back from Vodafone?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Lost Landline number, can anyone help please?

Go to solution

are you currently still with vodafone?

you say number was originally issued by BT so are you still at same address when number was originally issued?

if you have read other similar posts you will see many have succeeded in getting number back after taking out a phone contract with BT - but there is no guarantee

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

thank you! Yes still at same address it was issued at and currently with Vodafone but they can't get the landline working, they have been trying for 5 months.

Is there any way to check BT have the number available to them (realise its no guarantee) Also do I need Vodafone to relinquish it or will BT start a new Port when I take out a BT phone contract?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

@cjh1 

What happens if you ring the number?

What are the first seven digits of the number that you are wanting back?

Do not show the whole number.

Message 5 of 18

Go to solution
If the number was originally a BT number , then it’s not really ported back to BT, it’s simply returned to the number range holder (BT) once the porting arrangement is no longer needed, so a lot depends on the current status of the number ....if after all the incompetence shown so far , the number has by default already been returned to BT, then you should eventually able to get that number via BT, obviously starting with raising an order and accepting any ‘BT’ number, then arranging a ‘renumber’ to the number you want , this may need you to contact the BT Mods on here to manage the renumber order.
If , from BT’s point of view , the number is ported already, you would have to ensure that whatever party is currently shown as having the number , relinquish it, thereby giving back to BT, it’s not a perfect check, but if you dial the wanted number ( from a landline , preferably a BT landline ) and the number pretty much instantly returns NU tone , then it may be already back with BT already .
The problem you may find is without any commitment from you towards BT , then why would BT even check , if you order with BT , although there is a very good chance of success it’s not a guarantee, you may have to make a leap of faith and order with BT to get the ball rolling
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks both for the help.

if I call it, it says 'this persons phone is currently unavailable'

the number is 0190824

I may have to just take the leap of faith and go for it.

Vodafone have asked me to wait until Monday and they are going to have one more go. I don't have any faith in them after 6 months and they don't seem to have technical knowledge at all.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

@cjh1 

Its a BT number. You will be given a new number at first, then when its working, ask for a renumber. Any problem, then post back here. As it belongs to BT, Vodaphone may not be able to help.

1908 24 Allocated BT 4+6 15/07/1994
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution
@Keith_Beddoe Thank you so much for checking. I'll wait for Vodafone to update me tomorrow and if they are still stuck i'll take out the BT contract.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

@cjh1 

Any update please, have you resolved the issue with the phone number?

Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks for checking up @Keith_Beddoe @iniltous @imjolly 

My new BT line has been connected today (48 hours ahead of schedule and with no engineer visit!) I've made the decision to keep the new BT number. Vodafone cannot guarantee that they would disconnect my broadband if my original number was taken back by BT. The ineptitude Vodafone have shown leaves me no confidence in them messing this up. The Vodafone account is named after my landline number and its mentioned multiple times for ID's and Account information so I just know that if they get a message the number is being removed they will disconnect the whole account. So I'm biting the bullet and letting everyone know my new number.

Thanks for all the help and I'm sure the BT renumber would have worked but I'll just stick with this. Now I need to try to recover the 6 months in bills Vodafone have been charging me for no service!

The BT sign up and activation has been flawless and I've been kept up to date at every step, a really good experience and service.

0 Ratings