Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TwoFingerTyper
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Massive increase in scam calls

Hi all, 

Over the past few days I have had a huge increase in calls from scam numbers reporting to be from various places (and each time on a different number) and wondered if this was a UK-wide surge or if I am just lucky? 

Number has been registered on TPS, had never been in a directory, etc - so a mystery as why it's all of a sudden become so popular. 

Is there a BT service that cuts these off or only allows approved numbers? 

Thanks,

TFT

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Massive increase in scam calls

not being listed in a directory is immaterial as all the numbers are computer generated and often in sequence

you may find this post useful  https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/quot-Spoof-quot-Number-Blocking/td-p/1981690

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Studon
Contributor
Message 3 of 17

If I get a silent scam call, I say "Alexa trace this call"

Click, line clears, NU heard

Studon  

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 17

@TwoFingerTyperwrote:

Hi all, 

Over the past few days I have had a huge increase in calls from scam numbers reporting to be from various places (and each time on a different number) and wondered if this was a UK-wide surge or if I am just lucky? 

Number has been registered on TPS, had never been in a directory, etc - so a mystery as why it's all of a sudden become so popular. 

Is there a BT service that cuts these off or only allows approved numbers? 

Thanks,

TFT

Hi @TwoFingerTyper ,

Have you got BT Call Protect ?  If not, then get it as it does cut down the number of unwanted calls.

If you want to reduce them to nil get a call guardian phone.

0 Ratings
TwoFingerTyper
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

I thought I did, but I checked and it would seem not! I have now activated it so hopefully an instant reduction in calls and I can then look at the other methods suggested in this thread should they continue to be as frequent. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

You might like to have a read through this thread:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Phone-Scams-Using-quot-Spoofed-quot-Numbers-What-is-Being-Done/...

Without being defeatist, there is a limited amount that can be done with scammers seemingly having the advantage over current defensive measures available on landlines - unless you are prepared to take the route adopted by some which a type of reverse psychology i.e. set up your landline only to allow specifically saved numbers and block everything else (using a paid subscription service with a VIP list). 

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 17

@Longshanks0511wrote:

You might like to have a read through this thread:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Phone-Scams-Using-quot-Spoofed-quot-Numbers-What-is-Being-Done/...

Without being defeatist, there is a limited amount that can be done with scammers seemingly having the advantage over current defensive measures available on landlines - unless you are prepared to take the route adopted by some which a type of reverse psychology i.e. set up your landline only to allow specifically saved numbers and block everything else (using a paid subscription service with a VIP list). 

Or get a call blocking phone.  I know there is an expense but if you want zero calls ringing your phone then they solve it

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 17

@TwoFingerTyperwrote:

I thought I did, but I checked and it would seem not! I have now activated it so hopefully an instant reduction in calls and I can then look at the other methods suggested in this thread should they continue to be as frequent. 

Hi.

Unfortunately due to the scammers changing their spoofed number they call from (they know all about these types of blocking systems of course), it might only reduce the calls very slightly. Call Protect doesn't really work. It's like adding email spam to a blocking list of email addresses - they spoof them and change it, hence that method is next to useless too.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 17

@Andy_Nwrote:

@TwoFingerTyperwrote:

Hi.

Unfortunately due to the scammers changing their spoofed number they call from (they know all about these types of blocking systems of course), it might only reduce the calls very slightly. Call Protect doesn't really work. It's like adding email spam to a blocking list of email addresses - they spoof them and change it, hence that method is next to useless too.

Hi @Andy_N ,

I hate having to disagree, to an extent, with an esteemed Guru.  Call Protect has worked for me by significantly reducing the number scam calls that have got though in the last 3 years.  I used to get about 5 to 10 per day.  Now it is about 1 or 2 a week.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 17

@pompey1898wrote:

Call Protect has worked for me by significantly reducing the number scam calls that have got though in the last 3 years.  I used to get about 5 to 10 per day.  Now it is about 1 or 2 a week.

That's great 👍

I'm sure everyone is different, and some might get calls from the same number repeatedly - hence Call Protect will work. My handset is set to block (well not ring) from international calls. Though it still shows as a missed call. So effectively that has reduced by a few the number of calls I receive. I don't typically get many anyway.

0 Ratings