cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Master Socket 5C

Go to solution

I have a Master Socket 5C. My landline stopped working but broadband was still OK. A BT engineer advised me to remove the faceplate and attach my router and landline to the internal socket. I did this and both worked OK. She suggested I get a new faceplate. I did so (actually had to buy the whole unit) and fitted the new faceplate, plugging my landline into it. But the landline is still dead. Any suggestions as to what to do next?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Master Socket 5C

Go to solution

Change the whole socket rather than just the faceplate.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks, Licquorice, I will try that.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

I have now replaced the whole Master Socket 5C. The phone is still off with the internet OK. I think I'd better get an engineer as I've no idea what to do next, unless anyone can tell me.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Does your phone work when connected to the test socket as it did with previous master?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

Hello IM Jolly, how was your sermon this morning? More seriously, the situation is now exactly as it was before. With the faceplate on, only internet, no phone. With the faceplate off, both internet and phone working.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

Have you got any extension sockets?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

Yes, three - installed, I think, when the house was built in 1990.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

Does your phone work in any of the 3 extensions with master faceplate fitted and without

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

All three extensions are dead with and without the faceplate. Without the faceplate there isn't a connection between the line in and the extensions. But they're all dead anyway. The phone still works when inseerted into the test socket behind the faceplate. When I installed my new Master Socket 5C this afternoon I was careful to make all the connections exactly the same as I found them.

0 Ratings