Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
malamute
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Master socket not working

Go to solution

Hi 

I lived in my home which is a new build for 12 years and always used the extension socket in the living room for phone and BB which works fine.  

we are having work done and i want to move the phone and BB to the master socket, problem is it doesn't work.  It also doesn't look like the NTE5 either.  Both sockets look like extension sockets.

My question is has this been installed wrongly and how do i fix it?Extension in the living roomExtension in the living roomMaster by the front door, other side of the wall from the  open reach boxMaster by the front door, other side of the wall from the open reach box

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Master socket not working

Go to solution

@malamute 

Who provides your phone and broadband service?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Do you have something like this fitted outside if so that is your master socket

external_NTE_1.png

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

It has been wired wrong. Disconnect the Orange wires in both sockets, they are not needed. The Blue wires go to pin 2 on both socket sand the wh/blue go to pin 5 on both sockets.

malamute
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
BT provide my broadband
0 Ratings
malamute
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution
Yes i do - so does that mean i don't need an NTE5 type socket?
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Yes that is your master and internal sockets are only extensions.  Thought openreach were rewiring to instal a filtered master socket which also gave access to a test socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
malamute
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for your comment Liquorice.  It has worked in that the 'master' socket (not sure it is but...) is working now i have done what you suggested.  However when i make a call using a phone connected to this socket I loose my broadband which is still connected to the extension.  Tried it a few times and it seems to be related,  the board-band gets cut off when the phone call connects, then the board-band connects again when I end the call.  Any ideas why this should happen? 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

You need to use filters in both sockets