cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

More than one master socket on a PSTN line.

Hi all, sorry but I have yet another question. 

My mum has an old BT master socket beside her desk upstairs where her phone line used to come in. She has since had a new line fitted downstairs on a completely new master socket. Therefore. The one upstairs is dead. 

I was going to wire it up for her with telephone wire. Then stick a 431a plug on the end and plug it into a splitter on the master socket downstairs. Is it ok if I do this?

I know ideally I shouldn’t but would it cause any real trouble. I know having 2 ring capacitors on the line won’t be good, so maybe wiring a 231a might be better. 

thanks

ryan 

Regards
Ryan

If this reply was helpful, please leave a like, or if I answered your question, please click 'mark as answer. Many thanks
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: More than one master socket on a PSTN line.

I would do away with old master as only should be 1 master socket and replace with small extension socket and then connect to new master

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: More than one master socket on a PSTN line.

I have had problems when there have been 2 master sockets on one line - so I would also recommend having only one.  You can always open up the old one and simply snip out the 2 components present leaving it as a simple slave socket - done this many times (due to electricians installing master sockets everywhere when they were supposed to be slaves.

0 Ratings