Did you mean: 
ScottyN1
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Move and Replace Old Junction Box

Go to solution

Hello all, 

First time here to ask this question.

Recently bought a 1960's house and have a little black box situated beneath the upstairs hallway window - photo below, sorry should have rotated by 90 degrees.  The telephone line off of the street comes in beneath this window to the black box.

Then there are two grey cables coming from the box, one goes up to the attic (to the left) and the other downstairs and to the master BT box in the hall.

Firstly, I havent chased the grey cable which goes up to the attic about (because the attic is fully floored) but I dont know where it goes.  There are no other connection points in the upstairs.

Secondly, I was hoping to move (and perhaps fit a new) junction box to somewhere a bit more discrete and hide the grey cabling behind the walls.  I am guessing this work should be completed by an Openreach engineer?

Many thanks for the assistance in advanceIMG_2112 (1).jpg

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Move and Replace Old Junction Box

Go to solution

@ScottyN1 

Who provides your phone service?

0 Ratings
ScottyN1
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply @Keith_Beddoe and I should have said in the original post.
There is cable installed (all NTL so been in a while) and this is what previous owner used I believe.
Don't yet have a phone service (so no phone, broadband etc.) - was debating keeping cable or renewing the phone line and equipment in the house. Would just like to remove this box and associated wires from view.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

As there is no phone service yet, then you need to decide on which Service Provider you wish to use, then they will arrange, via Openreach, for the line to be re-routed, and the box removed, as part of the installation process, as you will be charged for installation anyway.

ScottyN1
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Thank you @Keith_Beddoe ,

Thats the issue I am having - I am tempted by cable due to infrastructure all there BUT I would still have the ugly black box and cabling I would like relocated and replaced - that would require an Openeach engineer to do?

Otherwise I could go with the BT line and get a new one installed, which fixes the above issue, but then I need to get an aerial installed for freeview TV.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

If you are never going to use the Openreach infrastructure, then you could simply remove the box and wiring yourself.

0 Ratings
ScottyN1
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution
Yes, that was what I was thinking.

I was just concerned about removing the black box and how to terminate the wires coming into the house from the street in case in the future we would like to use another provider?
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Does the line come in underground, or from a pole outside?

0 Ratings
ScottyN1
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Line comes from a pole and enters below the window sill and on the insides goes straight into the black junction box.  At least I am assuming this is the Junction Box.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

That is what I expected. The junction box is not used any more and is usually bypassed.

All you can do is to remove the box, and just tape up the ends of the incoming wire.

A new cable would be run by Openreach, and the master socket fitted wherever you specified.

0 Ratings