cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Moving landline from Virgin Media to BT

Good afternoon everyone.

Having just spoken at length with a BT advisor, I'm told that it is not possible to move my landline provision and home phone number from Virgin to the BT Essentials home phone package which I do qualify for.
I don't quite understand this, as according to Ofcom, it can be done via the "cease and re-provide process".
Can anyone shed any light on this.

Many thanks in advance.

DL

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/switchi... 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Moving landline from Virgin Media to BT

Bt home Essentials superseded BT Basic and you could not get landline only under that plan if you had broadband from another source.  It was for customers who did not have broadband and as it suggests 'landline only'

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

If that were the case, then surely it would have been the simplest of tasks for the CSA to tell me so, instead of saying "the system won't let me do it".
There is nowhere on the BT website that I can find where it states anything that correlates between a Home Essentials phone package and broadband.
Screenshot 2022-04-12 at 14-24-32 BT Home Essentials Broadband Universal Credit Broadband.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

basically that shows the landline only package for people that don't want broadband whether BT or other ISP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Thankyou - I understand that.

What I don't understand is that the CSA made no negative comment when I said I wanted to retain my Virgin broadband and simply move my phone package to BT.
I could kind of inderstand it if I had broadband which used a telephone line, but I don't. Virgin broadband (as you probably know) runs on cable and the telephone part of my package runs through the telephone cable,
If BT's policy is to refuse a telephone package for whatever reason, it would be nice if somewhere along the sign-up process they could make that clear.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

This might not be possible but have you tried asking BT to install a phone line without mentioning you presently have Virgin Broadband which may be confusing the issue. 

You would retain the Virgin phone until your BT phone was connected and then you could change your package with Virgin to a Broadband only package. This would mean that you would not be able to retain your present Virgin number.

I can not find anywhere in the BT literature that states you can not have broadband from any source if all you are wanting is a phone landline.

Home Essentials from BT

BT Home Essentials Broadband | Universal Credit Broadband

0 Ratings