cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 30

Re: NUMBER CHANGED BY BT AFTER SWITCH TO DIGITAL VOICE

Go to solution

I too lost my long-loved landline number without warning when I migrated to digital - at BT's recommendation, because of the quality of the copper line.  I agreed, on the strict condition that I keep my old number.  (I'd had no end of trouble in summer 2021 when I moved over to BT; I lost the number then, and had to fight for a month to get it back.  I am still in credit with the compensation from their mistakes and delays then.)

The digital order repeatedly cancelled their end, and migration was repeatedly delayed, but no one worked out why.  (Or if they did, they didn't tell me.)   Each time it cancelled I was asked to phone to 'resolve a query'; and each time, I reiterated that I needed to keep my old number.  Mobile reception here is very poor so the landline is my main contact number for hundreds of contacts.  My elderly dad has Alzheimer's and I am his next of kin/power of attorney for all his needs, agencies care providers and health contacts etc, too.  But despite all the queries and phone calls, no one mentioned that I might lose the number.

I was eventually migrated - but no one thought to mention to me either in phone calls or email confirmations that I'd been given a new number.  I discovered it by accident when phoning a friend - she said 'Where are you?' because it wasn't a number she recognised.

Now BT say that because it's a different exchange and an openreach number, I can't have my old number back.  And they won't allow me to revert to the copper line.  I've still had no written response to my complaints, just a cheery 'we've closed your complaint' - with no indication of their solution and no apology.   Their emails don't permit responses; there is no complaints email address; phone calls are endless and useless, so I've written and mailed an old fashioned letter to the complaints section.  

Still absolutely livid.

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 30

Go to solution

Contacting the Chief Executive eventually produced a result for me, after many subsequent exchanges with the Customer Resolution Team.  I won't post the email addresses as BT seems to have a system for identifying and removing email addresses from their forum.   In addition there are individuals who have taken it upon themselves to trawl and "police" the forum and report any breaches of the rules.  Even if email addresses are in the public domain action will be taken to remove them.

You might be able to convert what follows as useful contacts if you make appropriate changes to what's in the brackets, assuming that they get through the interference.

consumer(HYPHEN)resolution(NO SPACE HERE)team(AT)b(EE)t(EE)DOT)com

philip(DOT)jansen(AT)b(EE)t(EE)(DOT)com

If BT deletes the above two lines, search for "BT contact: how to make a complaint to customer services".  That will tale you to a Daily Telegraph page which gives a number of useful details, including the email address of the Chief Executive.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 30

Go to solution

Thanks. Have already emailed Philip Jansen and sent snailmail special delivery to complaints dept as I've had to deal with them before.

When I joined BT in summer 2021, I lost my phone number (this one I'm fighting for again!) and was without Internet for 3 months due to orders being repeatedly cancelled and general lack of joined up thinking.  They were apologetic and compensated me financially but frankly I would have preferred decent service without the months of hassle and stress.

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 30

Go to solution

@BPBPBPwrote:

Contacting the Chief Executive eventually produced a result for me, after many subsequent exchanges with the Customer Resolution Team.  I won't post the email addresses as BT seems to have a system for identifying and removing email addresses from their forum.   In addition there are individuals who have taken it upon themselves to trawl and "police" the forum and report any breaches of the rules.  Even if email addresses are in the public domain action will be taken to remove them. You mean the rules that you agreed to abide by when you signed up to this forum?

You might be able to convert what follows as useful contacts if you make appropriate changes to what's in the brackets, assuming that they get through the interference.

consumer(HYPHEN)resolution(NO SPACE HERE)team(AT)b(EE)t(EE)DOT)com

philip(DOT)jansen(AT)b(EE)t(EE)(DOT)com

If BT deletes the above two lines, search for "BT contact: how to make a complaint to customer services".  That will tale you to a Daily Telegraph page which gives a number of useful details, including the email address of the Chief Executive.

Message 25 of 30

Go to solution

Hi Everyone, 

I thought that I would update the original comment on the change of number. 

Clearly the fault appears to be with BT or perhaps Openreach in not informing us sufficiently well that numbers would change because calls go through a new exchange. 

Lack of communication by the company and questioning by the customer. 

I like my new number now, still advising those as necessary. 

Good luck to you all

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 30

Go to solution

The annoying thing is that when I agreed to digital, and each time I spoke to the team thereafter, I DID ask about porting my number over and was assured it would be the same after migration.  So clearly the migration team are not adequately informed.

And I am NOT happy about my new number.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 30

Go to solution

PS.  Don't consider it solved!

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 30

Go to solution

@teresajriley146 wrote:

PS.  Don't consider it solved!

It was solved by the person who started the thread.

You are more than welcome to start a new thread to explain your own problem, as each person may have a different resolution. If BT force you to move to DV, then the number should be kept.

If you place the request, then its more likely your number would be lost.

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 30

Go to solution

Thanks.  Being a newcomer to forums (fora?) I didn't know it worked like that.

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 30

Go to solution

@teresajriley146 wrote:

Thanks.  Being a newcomer to forums (fora?) I didn't know it worked like that.

Its always a problem on this forum, where a user start a new thread looking for help, and then the thread is hijacked by other users posting their problem. It then makes it very difficult for those following the original poster, as replies get mixed up, and sometimes people get a reply that was not intended for them.

Where a thread has been marked as solved, then its really down to new users to start their own thread, with a slightly different subject title. Its also more likely that they will get noticed, as it would be shown as a new thread.

Its been an ongoing issue on this forum, for a long time.

0 Ratings