cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Need to block all of Birmingham....

I'm getting constant harassment from a range of random Birmingham numbers.

I cheesed off a scammer yesterday by giving him a piece of my mind and now he's auto-dialling me on repeat.

How can I block ALL of Birmingham?!

Provider reckons it isn't possible. They are apparently powerless to help.

Surely the call can be traced??

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Need to block all of Birmingham....

Do BT Retail provide your telephone service? 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

yes 🙂

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

They are not real numbers.  Try ringing one - number unobtainable - nothing to do with Birmingham

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Yes I know they're fake numbers. The number changes each time the scammer rings.

They are kind of to do with Birmingham though as the caller ID area code is always Birmingham.

Do you have any thoughts on whether or not Birmingham or "Birmingham" can be blocked?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

They're originating from an IP based phone system that can be anywhere in the world. The number that is showing on Caller ID isn't actually their phone number so blocking the whole of 0121 will have no effect because they can just change it to another area code

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Again -sorry, I wasn't clear - I know these are virtual calls where the scammer is actually based in India.

However, hitherto, the calls (and there have been hundreds) have ALL had a Brum area code.

Would someone please answer the question if it's possible to block an area code at exchange level?

I can trivially do this with my PBX when the call hits the ATA from the PSTN but the calls are coming so thick and fast they're blocking my line...

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

@dance 

The most effective solution is a call blocking phone, like the BT4600. This is 100% effective in blocking scam callers because unless they are sored in your phone directory, they will be asked to announce themselves, and they never do.

You mention a PBX, then that suggests you may be a BT Business user, is that correct?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

The most effective solution sounds like it's what I already have. A PBX (Asterisk) connected to my PSTN via a Linksys ATA. This allows me to send any Birmingham calls straight to the bin but allow any other area code through as normal.

HOWEVER, this still means my phone line is tied up a lot of the time dealing with these calls and I neither my existing solution (nor the BT4600?) would  stop this.

That's why I want to block the calls at exchange (or higher) level.

Any ideas anyone?

(I'm a domestic/residential customer I just like to roll my own telephony after the master socket.)

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

I do not think that BT can do what you are asking.

You could try BT Call Protect, as that is included in your landline contract.

0 Ratings