cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShireenM
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

New Broadband, wrong landline

Hello everyone, I'm new to BT broadband and it's been a frustrating journey so far... this is a very complicated situation - so please forgive me.

I bought BT Fibre broadband in late March with the intent to have a new phone line put in so that my parents could have one and I could have my own (which I could take with me when I eventually move out).

When the engineer installed the new broadband he did not install a new line, he effectively replaced my parent's phone number with my new BT Broadband number.

I know from contacting BT support that my parent's number is still active but when I ring out of their phone is displays my new number. The last time I contacted BT, they said they would test the line and I've heard nothing since.

So my issue is, how do I do either of the following two things:

1. Remove my number from the home phone, return my parent's number and keep my BT Fibre Broadband?
  2. Move the BT Fibre broadband onto my parent's number?
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: New Broadband, wrong landline

Do you have 2 lines into the property, i.e are there 2 completely separate master sockets?

Did your parents previously have broadband?

0 Ratings
ShireenM
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

We only have one phone line into the house.

Yes, they are currently with EE - which they are going to cancel soon.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

If there is only one physical line into the house the order has not been completed as per your request and sounds as though perhaps your parents line has just been transferred to you rather than a separate line added as if they had moved out and you had moved in. Is their broadband still working with EE? Unfortunately you are going to have to call BT sales to find out what has happened. Further, as a new line would be required and a new master socket fitting, your order isn't going to happen as Openreach are no longer entering premises.

Did they get a letter/email from EE saying that a request had been made to takeover their line?

0 Ratings
ShireenM
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

The BT engineer plugged my new number into my parent's number instead of installing a new socket; which messed up everything.

I have called BT and they managed to fix the issue - even they were baffled as to how and why it happened. I had to close my parent's account/deactivate their number and then transfer it over to my broadband...

0 Ratings
ShireenM
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Thank you for your help 🙂

0 Ratings