cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 151 of 294

Re: New Digital Voice home phone service on BT

So I now have the user guides so I thought I would see what they looked like by perusing the BT shop but so far I haven't been able to locate said phones even by displaying all phones !

So I saw that the advanced guide on page 4 had a link for online help with videos but that just goes to a bog standard help page - so I give up.

All I'm doing is trying to look at what is offered at the moment and getting a bit more info (not that I am necessarily intending to go this route in the future) but it is such a dogs dinner.

Any way minor rant over.

0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 152 of 294

I had a quick look at the User Guides @conrad and the only difference that I can see is that the Advanced handset has Accessibility options.

There's pictures here. 

RIC9380
Aspiring Expert
Message 153 of 294

Hi, Andy005.

Yes. Also the Advanced Handset lights up like a Christmas tree when it rings which I like as the as the buttons are illuminated so I can see the keys clearly and decide what I want to do with the incoming call. I have the Essential Handset in the bedroom which doesn't so I even have difficulty locating it if I am woken from my slumber. The other EH is in the kitchen which is fine.

RIC9380
0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 154 of 294

I miss the buttons lighting up @RIC9380 but so far the Essential works well, it has a nice 'weighty' feel to it.

Meadmodj
Beginner
Message 155 of 294

BT Digital Voice is BT's replacement to the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) which will complete by 2025

Whether you are offered BT Digital Voice will depend on what Telephone Exchange you are on historically, the capability of your broadband and the capacity of the new BT Digital voice investment. It will start during 2020 and then ramp up to 2024.

Previously VoIP phones were directly dependant on an IP interface but BT has included an Analogue Telephone Adaptor (ATA) in their latest hubs ready. This means you can plug a traditional corded phone directly into the Hub/Router or in fact connect all your existing phones via existing home wiring. The hub needs to be set up with the relevant VoIP/VoBB credentials to connect to the new service. Your existing number will be able to be transferred.

BT will of course try to up-sell you new devices and it is in their interests to get you to discard old telephone wiring which in many homes causes no end of issues. You can plug in existing DECT phones or cordless products.

Until you get invited to join BT Digital Voice then if you retain a fixed landline you will be connected by one of the following methods:

a) Copper pair from your house to the local exchange (ADSL and "Fibre" FTTC) via your BT main phone socket (NTE)
b) Fibre Voice Access  via the Telephone socket on the Optical Network Terminal (ONT) (used on current Full Fibre FTTP installs)

As BT transitions from their PSTN then other ISPs will also start to offer Broadband without a land line (will include ADSL and FTTC) and will offer instead VoIP. Either they will provide a Router with a ATA in it or a separate ATA you can plug in. But beware not all VoIP is the same. Traditional "Telco" providers such as BT will ensure that the voice quality and prioritisation of the phone call (data) will be maintained. So be careful which provider you select going forward. 

Going forward there will be combined mobile and VoBB products and services.

0 Ratings
corrado
Beginner
Message 156 of 294

Hi, new here hoping someone can help, not had much joy emailing BT. 

I’m about to move in to a new house with FTTH and a digital voice landline. I’m considering purchasing whole home wifi. It’s a good idea to switch off wifi on the original router when using a mesh network.

So my question is, when switching off wifi on a Smarthub 2, does DECT remain switched on enabling the digital voice phone to carry on working? Has anyone got both whole home wifi and digital voice?

Thanks in advance. 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 157 of 294

the SH2 is a dect base station and whether wifi on or off won't affect that

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
corrado
Beginner
Message 158 of 294

Thanks 👍
0 Ratings
Hozz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 159 of 294

I have had BT digital voice since last summer, as part of a BT trial, and it seems to work very well. 

As long as your handset is within range of wifi the phone will work.

The wifi in the area of the phone doesn't need to be very strong either.

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 160 of 294

@Hozz 

It connects using DECT not normal WiFi, so its capable of working over a much longer distance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Enhanced_Cordless_Telecommunications

0 Ratings