Message 191 of 294

Re: New Digital Voice home phone service on BT

my tel port 1 is active and thats what my phone is connected to
0 Ratings
Fumbledore
Contributor
Message 192 of 294

I don’t think that service is supported anymore for new subscribers.
0 Ratings
sjanes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 193 of 294

I've been with bt fibre just over 5yrs and switch over to what was originally called Fibre Home Phone Service which is on Tel1 and still going. my billing now calls it Digital Voice, but I don't get the benefits like BT call protect

0 Ratings
globe1nh
Contributor
Message 194 of 294

I'm just upgrading to BT Smart Hub 2 and considering also moving to BT Digital Voice service, but have some questions.  For reference I'm on FTTC.

• Do the BT Digital Voice handsets have ability to import or synchronise with contact lists on mobiles or connected PCs?  Or from SD or SIM card?  I know that BT's Premium "conventional" handsets can import from mobiles via BlueTooth, and my old BT Synergy cordless base station can import from a SIM card.
  • Is it possible to make calls via the BT Digital Voice service from a computer on the hub network?
  • Am I limited to BT Digital Voice phones or can I use 3rd party DECT phones?

If the answer to these is "No" then what are the main advantages in switching?

0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 195 of 294

Hi @globe1nh 

You can only import/export contacts to the SH2 as a .VCF file, there is no synchronisation option with the Essential Handsets that I have.

No to your second question and it's No to your third question currently as far as I'm aware but I think this may change.

0 Ratings
globe1nh
Contributor
Message 196 of 294

I looked at the spec sheets and the "advanced" hand doesn't have  the synchronisation option either (but from the sheets I think I'm right in saying that when contacts are added they're shared across all of the connected handset?  I can live with transferring contacts as .VCFs - how does that work in terms of getting the file uploaded via the SH2?

I only found out about Digital Voice on SH2 because I was on a support chat with a BT tech getting some help with port forwarding on my original Smart Hub (I have a new NAS and it uses quite a few ports for various functions).  There's a button in the hub manager Firewall section that claims to take you to a list of common port forwarding rules, but it doesn't, just tells you how create a rule.  The tech kept explaining how to set up a rule, and I kept telling him I knew how to set up port forwarding, I was looking for the list of rules they offer.  Eventually he said that he would send me an SH2 because I'd find it easier to set up port forwarding.  When it arrived I saw that the port forwarding section is exactly the same, except they've changed the button so that it now just says it takes you to their page on port forwarding.

0 Ratings
Hozz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 197 of 294

You can use 3rd party DECT phones by plugging in the base station to the hub.

0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 198 of 294

As far as I know you can only import contacts once DV is active, through the Phone option in the Hub Manager. I have only exported and then imported to the Hub, I originally entered my contacts manually through the handset.

globe1nh
Contributor
Message 199 of 294

Ok that’s great, appreciate it. 

0 Ratings
Lammers
Beginner
Message 200 of 294

Is there any solution for using Digital Voice with separate DECT handsets without having to use the the Smart Hub 2? Is there a separate ATA-type box that BT offers? Thanks. 

0 Ratings