cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hozz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 261 of 294

Re: New Digital Voice home phone service on BT

@globe1nh If you plug in your existing landline to the Smart Hub 2 you won't notice much difference in quality. If you use BT Digital phones to connect to your Smart Hub 2 then there can be an improvement in quality as HD calling is available though I am not sure it makes a lot of difference.

I find the main benefits are that two people can make or receive calls at the same time and secondly the call divert is very slick if you are out and want calls to divert to your mobile.

0 Ratings
cb566
Beginner
Message 262 of 294

I've just got a SH2 and it seems they are no longer supplied with a phone socket on the back, so looks like I will need to request a DVA to keep using my existing DECT phones. BT did send me a digital handset (it doesn't work yet but that's a different issue).

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 263 of 294

Have you checked that its not under a sticker label?

0 Ratings
cb566
Beginner
Message 264 of 294

Correction.  I was told that I had been sent an SH2, which arrived along with a Digital Voice handset, but it now seems BT sent me an SH.  Clearly the SH has no DECT capability which would explain why the handset won't register to the hub.  

0 Ratings
CheekyMonkey
Beginner
Message 265 of 294

so what happens if I want to use my own Wi-Fi equipment.. in my case I use a mesh system.. I take it that there is no choice but to use the SH2 to make use of the phone?

will there be some sort of small adapter in the future which plugs into an aftermarket router?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 266 of 294

@CheekyMonkey 

At present if you want to use DV then you need to have the SH2 connected.   Nothing has been said or posted about any change to that currently

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Bobbybox
Aspiring Contributor
Message 267 of 294

you can keep your mesh system and use the built in DECT base station of the SH2. 

In my case I have a gigaset C620A plugged into the phone port of the SH2 (often hidden behind a black sticker) and a BT handset (a freebie when i signed up ) registered to the DECT base station within the SH2. All handsets ring and can be answered. The only minor drawback is you cannot place an internal call from the gigaset to the BT handset, nor vice versa.

BB

CheekyMonkey
Beginner
Message 268 of 294

Hopefully in the future BT offer some kinda ethernet adapter that can be used with aftermarket routers or in my case mesh setup that will have the dect / sip built in for the digital voice handset

Maybe will buy one the complete wifi discs off ebay to try.. hopefully they have ethernet backhawl 

0 Ratings
Rmh56
Aspiring Contributor
Message 269 of 294

Interesting development.. I’m on FTTP so expect to be a target customer.

I’ve seen a question re. Using another router which I’ll look into but it occurs to me, does this bind you to BT as an ISP? If I were to switch to another ISP how would that work?

tbh, I so rarely use the landline and have it on silent going to voicemail as we get SO many spam calls (maybe BT could stop these!), using the mobile…

Given all of this, I’m not likely to be an early adopter

r

0 Ratings
SidF
Aspiring Contributor
Message 270 of 294

There is a big problem with the DECT station being built in to the Smart Hub 2. If the SH2 is located where WiFi will not reach all the property, range extender discs can be used to improve WiFi coverage. But the Digital Voice phones have to connect to the SH2, they don't connect through range extender discs. This means you may have quite large areas of the property where the Digital Voice phones won't work. I have this problem and I am having to have the SH2 moved to where it gives DECT coverage all over my house.

0 Ratings