cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

New connection using an existing internal phone cable

Some help and advice please.

We are considering moving from Virgin Media to BT and would like to know if BT will connect their new drop wire to an existing copper phone cable that runs from the external junction box to the internal phone socket.  This existing cable is outdoor quality 2 pair copper core cable that I installed when we were carrying out some refurbishment works a few years ago.  Virgin Media were happy to connect their phone line to this cable when their's developed a fault a few years ago but it doesn't belong to them.

There is an existing BT drop wire that was used before we migrated our phone number to Virgin but it is no longer connected to anything in the house.  The drop wire junction box is immediately adjacent to where the internal cable emerges from the roof space.

I am asking because the property is an old cottage and both the ground and first floor layouts makes it very difficult/impossible to get a new broadband cable to where the new hub needs to be. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: New connection using an existing internal phone cable

@Aitch54 

The connection will be provided by Openreach not BT Retail.

Openreach will use whatever routing they have on record.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

@Aitch54 

are you getting broadband from BT?  if so are you getting fibre to premises (FTTP) or fibre to cab and copper to home (FTTC)?   as a new customer are you getting digital voice? 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

I believe that full fibre is not yet available in this area so therefore I assume it will be FTTC.

I don't know about digital voice but we are not planning to have a phone line so assume the answer is no.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

All you can do is talk to the Openreach engineer when he/she arrives and see what he/she can/is prepared to do.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Thank you but does this make a difference to the connection because, whether or not they use the original drop wire I want to know if it can be connected to my internal cable.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Thanks.

I have already thought about this as the obvious option but I wanted to see if other people had had similar experiences and what their outcomes were.

0 Ratings