We moved house 25/06/20 and got a new BT landline number which doesn’t work. It rings if you dial it but there is no dialling tone. The broadband which is connected to the same fibre box works fine. I’ve also had an electrician test the fibre box who says it’s fine inside the house. The online test says everything is fine which it clearly isn’t. I’ve been unable to get hold of anyone from BT by any means to get it rectified. I’ve tried sending a complaint and still no one comes back to me
Thanks, it looks exactly like that
Then plug your phone into the TEL1 socket , and see if it works there. Its under the cover.
If it works there, then there should be a lead from there, linking it to the rest of the sockets in your house.
It will look like this.
If there is an existing copper route, then that will be used to carry the phone line and not FVA (Fibre Voice Access).
There would be an Openreach master socket where the line would terminate. The fact that the line rings out, and is obtainable, would seem to indicate a copper route, as if it was FVA, and the TEL light was not on, the it would not ring out.
When did you raise a fault report of "no dial tone", as that should have be dealt with right away?
It’s been like it since the installation/connection date 25/6/20. No BT engineer turned up, so I connected the broadband box and phone myself. I haven’t managed to get hold of anyone since in any format other than the online fault checker via the app that says there is no fault outside the house. I’ve tried the telephone helpline but can’t get through
Do you have a phone master socket in the house anywhere? like this?
Are you in a new build property, if so, then the copper line may not have been connected up to the master socket?
If you reported that you had no dial tone when your service was activated, then you should have received a visit, usually within 48 hours on a new provision.
Normally there would not be a visit, unless you reported a fault.
Probably not very helpful, but I had a similar problem back in March. No telephone and in this case slow broadband. Today I have finally (yes 4 months later) got it sorted by changing to a new provider who solved the problem within 24 hours (an engineer arrived within 2 hours of my phone call). The fault was quickly diagnosed by Openreach to be 88m from the house, I believe in a green box. I'm not sure what's going on at BT but the service has been in my experience disappointing.