cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

New tenants keep requesting to takeover phone line.

Go to solution

My mother lives in a house that has been converted into two flats. Both flats have separate phone lines in, my mother has had her line since about 1982.

Previously we have not had any problems but about 10-years-ago the ground floor flat was sold and the new owner started to rent it out. The first tenants swapped from BT to Sky as their phone provider and since then every time there has been a change of tenancy the new tenants apply to takeover my mother's phone line. 

Whenever we receive notification from BT of the request to transfer the line we contact them immediately to tell them it is an error, but on one occasion the incoming tenant overrode our cancellation and BT went ahead and transferred my mother's line and phone number to the downstairs flat - leaving her without a phone line for ten days. Dispite it being BT's error,  this also meant that my mother was given a new customer account number and was charged a connection fee, although this was eventually waivered.

I have spoken with BT's customer services a few times and have followed their advice to tell the owner to inform the letting agent and new tenants that the phone line cannot be automatically transfered and requires them to book a BT engineer; but there must be a way to solve this problem - one of the engineers that came previously intimated that he knew what and where the problem was but would not elaborate further.

My mother is eighty-seven and constantly worries that her phone will be cut-off again.

Can anyone offer any advice on this?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: New tenants keep requesting to takeover phone line.

Go to solution

Hi @Rob_2 Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. Have the two addresses been registered as separate residences?

It sounds like the new tenants are not specifying the flat number to the new provider who then tries to take over the existing line in error. 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

When someone goes to their choice of ISP they provide the address, it's common that new tennants are unsure of the exact address details so mistakes happen, it's human error, If the property is split in 2 correctly, each one will have their own address, either flat 1 or flat 2 etc

If the addresses haven't be registered correctly then the database will show 1 address, the preferred method of providing service is to takeover an existing service, which this sounds like.

Check the Royal Mail website for your mothers postcode, it should show 2 properties, if it only shows 1 there's your issue.

@Rob_2wrote:

My mother is eighty-seven and constantly worries that her phone will be cut-off again.

Can anyone offer any advice on this?

Have you thought about becoming the account manager or ask your mother if your email can be used as the preferred contact address, so you get the notifications and can step in on your mothers behalf ?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Neil0,
Many thanks for your speedy response. The flats are listed separately but confusingly there's also a listing for the house as a whole.

Kind regards,

Rob

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
Hi Richie,
Many thanks for your response, it's much appreciated.
The two flats are listed with their own addresses but confusingly there is also still a listing for the house as a whole.

I do manage the account, since the line was cut-off and reinstated - but she sees the 'to let' board. And, I have just received a 'you're moving' email from BT.

Kind regards,

Rob
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

@Rob_2  try the order journey yourself, see what it shows, go to https://www.bt.com/products/broadband/deals and select to join BT as a new BT customer, when you enter the postcode do you see 2 addresses or 1 ?

If you're seeing 2 then it's down to human error and nothing you can do, people are simply choosing the wrong address to add services
If you're seeing 1 address then the other flat isn't registered correctly, which is why people are taking over the wrong line.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
TBH, although when you respond to the ‘sorry to see you leave’ comms , that should be enough to stop the line migration, the initial error is either with the new tennants’ ISP picking the wrong address or the tennant themselves selecting the wrong address if doing the order on line...unless that ISP is BT then it’s a little unfair to blame BT , unless they don’t respond when you tell them an error has been made and stop the migration ....if the new tennant’s order is cancelled by BT saying that an error has been made, there is nothing stopping another order being issued, in fact if ( for example ) the new ISP contacts their customer and states the order is cancelled ,’for some reason’ by Openreach the ‘customer’ probably would insist a new order is raised without the ISP wondering why and checking things like is the address absolutely the correct one rather than just being similar , and of course some tennants may not know the correct address and give the ISP ambiguous address info.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Richie,

I've followed the link and checked the postcode; and found that the addresses listed are for the ground floor flat and the whole house. Is there anyway, through contracting BT, to find out which address my mother's line is connected with?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @Rob_2 

Your mother's bill should answer that question

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @Rob_2  and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry you're having problems with the address etc. I can check if the account is in order for you. I'll drop you a private message now so you can get in touch.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings